Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 pioneer powder ffg >

pioneer powder ffg

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

pioneer powder ffg

Old 08-14-2005, 08:52 PM

Default pioneer powder ffg

Just shot some pioneer powder that I got from cabelas. It has a milder kick to it than an equal charge of 777pellets. I shot 25 shots w/o swabbing and the barrel was still relatively clean. W/ 777pellets, I have trouble getting a sabot loaded after 4-6 shots so I clean every three shots. So far I'm impressed.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: pioneer powder ffg

Glad to hear it is working out for you. Is the FFg grade real course? I was thinking of getting some in FFFg because it is finer in nature.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:00 PM
Typical Buck

Gotta love that "No Swabbing" part!

Welcome to the forum and enjoy the APP!
Old 08-15-2005, 09:25 AM

cayugad-the FFG isVERY corse, I almost couldn't beleive it. Because of the haz-mat charge I ordered 8lbs. Now I wish I had 4lbs FFG, 4lbs FFFG. Oh well it shoots pretty well as I said. My son shot the 100Gr 777 pellets about three times and wasn't shell shocked, but he had had enough[]. W/ 100Gr of the pioneer, he shot several timesand wanted to keep shooting when itwas todark to shoot.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:50 AM
Dominant Buck

My next powder order I am going to get some of the APP 3f, some Pinnacle 3f and lots of black powder.. I liked the Pinnacle I shot last year and out of my little Wolverine II with a light sabot I was getting some exceptional accuracy... I could shoot 12 of the 240 grain T/C XTPs without swabbing.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Somebody here steered me to the APP FFF couple yrs ago??. I was using FF for about 4 yrs and it is very course and hard to pour/handle. I finally found 1 shop that had APP FFF. Very fine and handles/pours much easier in addition to cleaner burn.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:29 PM

cayugad-I dont know how mant APP shots I could get off w/o swabbing, but 8 seemed to be the # for 777 pellets, I could've gotten 10 or 12 but once it gets a little tougher to load my sabot I call it quits and swab.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:32 PM

AJ52-if I only knew then what I know now.Still, the ff is still doing pretty well. I guess I'll just HAVE to go shoot up 8lbs of powder at the range.What an awfull fate.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NVMIKE

Just shot some pioneer powder that I got from cabelas. It has a milder kick to it than an equal charge of 777pellets. I shot 25 shots w/o swabbing and the barrel was still relatively clean. W/ 777pellets, I have trouble getting a sabot loaded after 4-6 shots so I clean every three shots. So far I'm impressed.
The only thing that would give you less recoil with an equal projectile and powder charge weight is lower muzzle velocity!

Pioneer is nothing but Clean Shot witha different label.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:16 PM

It might be interesting to see just how much velocity an equal charge of APP delivers. I do know that, even at the same chronographed velocity, some MZ powders kick more than others. I'm not sure if it is because the bullet starts moving down the barrel more/less violently; or if there is more muzzle blast after the bullet exits the muzzle - driving the gun into your shoulder with a "jet engine effect". But it is not just simple physics - the powder can make a noticeable difference.

Quick Reply: pioneer powder ffg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.