Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CO2 Discharger

Old 08-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default CO2 Discharger

I recieved my CO2 Discharger today from Cabela's, + as I was reading the back of the package, I saw something that confused me. One of the statments say's " confirm that there is not a charge in the barrel". Does this mean that the pyrodex pellets are to be removed before the discharger is too be used to clear the bullet + sabot from the barrel or does it mean not to have the primer on the nipple? If i have to remove the pellets first, by removing the breech plug + nipple, then I may as well push out the pellets with my ramrod at the same time. Or am I understanding this wrong? Or can I blow out pellets, primer, sabot, bullet, all at one time? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:44 AM

Default RE: CO2 Discharger

powderburns: just remove the primer on the nipple and attach the CO2
discharger to the nipple and blow everything out of the barrel,make sure the barrel is in a safe direction
Old 08-11-2005, 07:57 AM

I used mine to get a charge out of my Hawken - MAKE SURE THE BARREL IS POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION. That projectile really comes out FAST, be careful.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:35 PM

Don't forget to pass a swab before reloading, co2 may cause condensation in the barrel.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:08 AM

it may take 2-3 co2 cartrides to blow it clear, mark your ramrod at the start to measure your progress
Old 08-12-2005, 04:31 AM
Spike

I tried one for a little while, worked fine but just as easy to pull the plug and push it out. When you have to use 2 or 3 of the CO2 cylinders not really worth it.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:58 PM

Just a note,i have talked to people whom have used these,and failed to work and had to take out the bullet the old fashhion way. vangunsmith
Old 08-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one and I don't have any problems with it. Usually after I blow the charge out there is still some CO2 left in the canister. Guess I'm just lucky.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use one with my flinter. I have one problem to report: When discharging Powerbelts, I have had the bullet come out and the powder blow thru the hole in the plastic base, but the plastic base stay IN the barrel. I then have had to use a bullet puller jag on the ramrod to remove the base. Not really a problem, as long as you realize what is happening. If you don't realize it and load again, I'm not sure how things will turn out. I put a sock over the barrel and catch the bullet for future use. If you use the Co2 cartridges that are for air guns, they contain oil that will contaminate your barrel. They make special cartridges for discharging MLs that contain NO oil. I recommend them exclusively.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Typical Buck

Never did buy a C02 discharger. (Amazing for me as I can be quite the new gizmo have to have).

I've always either shot out the load if loaded (most of the time)or I have unprimed and on ML's with removable breech plugs, just pull the plug and let the powder fall out then push the projectile out through the breech.

On ML's without removable breech plugs, and have loaded a projectile without powder (really does not shoot very well without a powder charge) I haul out the range rod and ball puller and get to work. Ugh!