Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Best bullet for Omega 50 cal??? >

Best bullet for Omega 50 cal???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best bullet for Omega 50 cal???

Old 07-28-2005, 07:34 AM

Default Best bullet for Omega 50 cal???

I'm looking for input on what bullet works the best out of your Stainless Omega. such as loading and accuracy? I think it will be interesting to see if there is an overwhelming favorite the Omega 50cal likes.
Thank you for all the help this forum is great, I've learned a lot in the past week.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:19 PM

Default RE: Best bullet for Omega 50 cal???

Assuming you are deer hunting in Michigan, I would give the 250 gr. T/C Shockwave a try. I believe they gave you a sample pack of these to try in the box with a new Omega. You might try magnum loads -but if you don't shoot over 150 yards the regular 100 grain charges will probably work fine.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:22 PM
Typical Buck

250 gr.Hornady SST over 130 gr 777 pellets.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:16 PM

I thought there would be more than 2 omegas around here???
Old 07-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

295gr. Powerbelts shoot great out to 100 yards. SST 300gr. shoot great out to 100 yards. 300gr. Pistol bullets shoot great out to 100 yards. In fact anything I put in the barrel shoots great out to 100 yards. I don't check beyond that as that is the limit of my hunting shots. Pyrodex works good but is messy, Tripple Seven makes a hard crud ring in my Omega so I quit using it. Pioneer works good. Black Mag'3 works very good. I just got some Pinnacle and have not shot enough to decide yet. I find most sabots difficult to load and have switched to Harvester sabots so I can load the bullet without a ton of effort.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ive got one , and its not grouping to my likeing with 250 grain bullets .Im going to try 300 grain sst's and harvesters next , and if they dont group , 295 powerbelts . Of all the 250 grain bullets I put through it it liked the powerbelts best , and they loaded easyer for me allso . The 250 powerbelts grouped just over 4" at 100 yards .
Old 08-04-2005, 12:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Some things you might want to try instead of Powerbelts are the 460 grain No Excuses Conicals. They can be found at http://members.aol.com/noexcusesb/page2.html. Load them with about 85 grains of Triple Se7en. These are slip fit, so they load easy and what they hit is really in a world of hurt.

Another good projectile is the 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB sabot. These are a spitzer point with boattail back end. They are also a little undersized so they load real easy. I want to state, I do not have an Omega but I shoot a T/C Black Diamond XR which has about the same barrel with a different action. I shoot both of these and the accuracy is exceptional...
Old 08-04-2005, 01:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Sabre03

I'm looking for input on what bullet works the best out of your Stainless Omega. such as loading and accuracy? I think it will be interesting to see if there is an overwhelming favorite the Omega 50cal likes.
Mine likes the 245 gr. Barnes Spitfires. It used to like the 250 gr. Shockwaves until T/C changed sabots they provide. I've got some MMP HPH 24's I'm going to try with a few I have left to see how well they do.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Sabre03

I'm looking for input on what bullet works the best out of your Stainless Omega.
My current load is the 200grainT/C Shockwave in the blue sabot. I am shooting it over 110 grs. of Triple Se7en ffg. loose powder. The Barnes Spitfire 245 gr. that Wolfhound76 mentioned should work well for you also. Good luck!
Old 08-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

cayugad,
I just shot my new T/C Black Diamond XR last night, and I was shooting the 375 grain Buffalo Bullet SSB's. They were rather difficult to load, even with a clean barrel. I was considering ordering some of the 444 grain Power Belts, as for hunting I am hoping to find a bullet that will load fairly easy, and quickly. I see you also shoot the 460 grain No Excuses....in your experience will these load easier than the Buffalo Bullet SSB's??? Also, I see on their web site there is also a 495 grain available. Do you have any experience with it or have you only tried the 460?

Quick Reply: Best bullet for Omega 50 cal???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.