Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 cayugads cleaing recipe? >

cayugads cleaing recipe?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cayugads cleaing recipe?

Old 06-17-2005, 03:02 PM

Default cayugads cleaing recipe?

cayugad what is the recipe thing its some kinda of alchohol and windsheild wiper fluid. were can i find it at thanks. do u use this to clean your gun or just inbetween shots.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: cayugads cleaing recipe?

The alcohol is just plain old ordinary rubbing alcohol.He mixes it with equal amounts of wind shield wiper cleaner.50/50. he then puts it in a small bottle. He uses this only at the range in between 3 shots. he swabs the inside of the barrell to keep bullets from hanging up. I plan to mix up some.
Chuck
Old 06-17-2005, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

does the bug wash or ice melter in the washer fluid help any?? lol..........maybe im on to something here......
Old 06-17-2005, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Using liquid out of a bottle for swabbing seems to put too much liquid on my patches. That sometimes creates a situation where you need to use both sides of an extra (2nd) dry patch. If you use a spray bottle that mist-sprays intead of stream-sprays, that will save you needless liquid & additional, unecccessary dry patches.

The whole idea is not clean the bore during range work.... just remove excess buildup of fouling. Plain washer fluid, plain Windex, plain alcohol all work. You can mix all three together for excellent, fastself-drying time.

Bug wash minimally helps... so does vinegar Windex. The extra cleaning agents are so weak anyways. Very little is added & I wish these companies were forced to list the percentages of the ingredients.

It's like saying Trop-Artic synthetic-blend oil I see at Dollar stores is just as good as Pennzoil, Castrol or Valvoline blends. The truth is there are no laws that say these Trop-Artics of the world must add a specific amount of synthetic to their quart of conventional - in order to call it a syn-blend.

Trop-Artic uses a single-digit percentage of synthetic while the typical name brand oil company uses 20-25% synthetic in their blends. Yet the Trop Artics of this world fool the public into believing we are getting such a great deal on their SM-rated oil.

Those ratings are very easy to get nowadays because oil companies are filthy rich & money laundering is common in this business. These above are my opinions/hearsay... not known facts.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Dominant Buck

These are my cleaners and as you can see.. my expensive bottles to dispense it. In the tarter sauce bottle which has a small hole under the lid is a 50/50 mixture of summer blend windshield washer fluid and 91% isopropyl alcohol. I just hold the bottle upside down and drag a patch back and fourth over the hole which wets the patch. If the patch is too wet then you ring it out. In the small pump spray endust bottle is 91% isopropyl alcohol used for drying bores and wiping out the pans, flints and frizzenson flintlocks. Pump a little of that on a patch and your set to go plus it is small enough to carry in a possible bag and can be used to swab the barrel as well. TheOFF Bug Spray pump bottle, I carry my MooseMilk. I use that for shooting roundball. I can spritz a patch and just get it damp. Perfect for patching roundball. One of the better cleaners I use for the rifles is Simple Green. I buy the stuff by the gallon jog now and mix it is old bottles. It will really cut thefowling out of the barrels. The one thing none of these cleaners will do is remove plastic, copper or lead build ups.For that you need a good quality solvent like Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber....
Old 06-17-2005, 06:22 PM

Have been meaning to try the Simple Green. It really took the crud off my BBQ grill, and with very little elbow grease. Cayugad - do you mix the Simple Green with alcohol or just use it straight out of the bottle?
Old 06-17-2005, 06:41 PM
Dominant Buck

I mix it medium strength according to directions on the back of the gallon, with water. It really cuts the fowling. It will also take the soot off the glass doors of the wood stove and I never thought anything would get that off. It is some good stuff for cleaning. I use it for almost everything.