Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Its about that time... >

Its about that time...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Its about that time...

Old 05-19-2005, 11:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Its about that time...

Of those mentioned I think I would go with the NEF Sidekick. For no other reason then the company that makes them has been making that action for a long time. Also I have had a chance to handle the Sidekick and it is a nice shouldering rifle. All reports are they are great shooters out of the box.
I've heard a few complaints about the Sidekick, but still, I'd buy it. I've heard the ramrod (extendable) is flimsy, and you have to make sure the barrel-to-receiver fit is snug. Also have to choose medium or high scope rings to avoid having the hammer hit the scope.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:02 PM

Sorry it took me so long to get back-

Im really starting to like the Wolverine. It does have the 26" barrel, but im not sure if it has sights or not. If it doesnt, I will probably buy a set to install myself. (I use see-thru mounts)

The Wolverine 209 uses a DISC doesnt it?

-Thanks
Old 05-19-2005, 02:53 PM

Of the three, I had an Optima.
I liked it, did what I asked of it and really can't say one negative thing about it. But, Last year I sold it and bought an encore.
Won't ever look back, it is like a Ferrari compared to a Volkswagon. Did it cost allot? Yup, but you get what you pay for.
I know this really didn't answer your question.
But, in the end, you get what you pay for and if you pay $550 bucks for an Omega or Encore now that lasts for ten years, or $250 for a gun you might grow out of in 3 or 4 years, which is better?
R
Hank
Old 05-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ahankster

But, in the end, you get what you pay for and if you pay $550 bucks for an Omega or Encore now that lasts for ten years, or $250 for a gun you might grow out of in 3 or 4 years, which is better?
R
Hank
Hey Hank,

Just an observation here.
With proper care and maintenance, even the bottom of the line ML should last many years, to decades, to generations+ depending on how much you shoot and how well you care for the weapon.

I've never thrown an ML away in 35+ years. My oldest (a T/C Hawken 50cal kit) is worn but the bore is excellent and it still shoots fantastic.

While I do agree completely that the Optima is no Encore or Omega, I fail to see why one would need to be discarded unless it was not properly taken care of?

With proper care, an ML barrel should be good for tens of thousands of shots.

Old 05-20-2005, 01:26 PM

I have to agree about buying an Omega.It may be a little more money,but you get what you pay for.The synthetic stock ones aren't that expensive and it is made in America.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:36 AM

I've never even seen any of those rifles - when you get one let us know how you like it.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:39 AM

Go with the optima or better yet go ahead and spend the extra moola on an encore