Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I've come to a decision... >

I've come to a decision...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I've come to a decision...

Old 05-12-2005, 11:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default I've come to a decision...

Just a personal preference-- not a judgement on anyone else, or their practices:

During regular deer-gun season, I'm going to use my Omega, and during BP season, I'm going to use my percussion-cap Renegade. I think it will ad a little variety to my hunts. It will enable me to use both guns. (The Renegade hasn't been used in a while) And it will give me a little of the "buckskin" feeling of what hunting was like long ago. Besides that, I'll have reason to do twice as much shooting this summer!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: I've come to a decision...

Well, if you really want a laugh (at least that's what my nephews that I hunt with did), I carried my 50 cal. Pedersoli cap lock during regular deer season. HOWEVER, because I have a very hard time with the iron sights in low light and because I was brand new to ML, I also carried my 308 lever action Savage with the Leopold scope! So there I am walking in and out of the woods with 2 weapons I had made up my mind that I would only use the 308 if I absolutely had to; unfortunately, I didn't see a thing. Didn't see anything during ML season either.

I intend to do the same thing this November. I expect even more harrassment from the nephews!

Bruce
Old 05-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

Do things like that all the time.

In fact, during the season itself I'll typically carry several types of ML's during the regular firearm and muzzleloader seasons ranging from 45-58 cal scoped inlines to percussion sidelocks, sabot's to conical's to patched roundballs.

This fall for deer season in addition to above, I'll try my hand at 45cal sidelock & conical, 50cal flintlock & PRB and 50cal Sidelock pistol.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's an easy decision you have there Eto! Try deciding which muzzleloader to hunt with when you someday own as many ML rifles as myself or poster Cayugad. I'm sure Cayugad has a ML rifle for every day of the week.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

That's an easy decision you have there Eto! Try deciding which muzzleloader to hunt with when you someday own as many ML rifles as myself or poster Cayugad. I'm sure Cayugad has a ML rifle for every day of the week.
So I've read... I don't post her as much as I used to, but I always check in and read.

Bruce H, Ohio is a shotgun state. I'd rifle hunt if I could, but I can't, so I choose my Omega over my shotgun.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:59 PM

He may have one for every day of the month . . . . .
Old 05-12-2005, 06:40 PM
Dominant Buck

If I am hunting fields, I take an inline ... usually the T/C Black Diamond XR or the Wolverine. If I am hunting the thick woods I like a .54 caliber Renegade or a .58 caliber Renegade. The .50 calibers will do fine also, it is just that when shooting roundball I like to throw a lot of lead. This year I plan on taking a deer with the .62 caliber smoothbore shooting a 343 grain roundball. I tried last year but the deer would not cooperate.

And yes I have a few rifles... In fact I am planning on another flintlock real soon. The other three are getting lonely...
Old 05-12-2005, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

i carry my flintlock alot........rifle season if im not doing drives and the weathers nice the flinter is in my hands....ive yet to take a deer with it...cant wait......love that gun.....something about carrying it.......and making smoke........cant wait to pop some groundhogs with it soon......tell me that doesnt look crazy.....sittin out in a groundhog field with a flinter!!!!!! took 2 last year with it.......one at 45yds......not a bad shot with a flinter and such a small target........nothin wrong with muzzleloaders! people think they are so unreliable.......they just dont know what they are doing.....ive yet to not have it go off when i wanted to..unless im target shooting and not cleaning the flint and frizzen as i should be....just laziness......and i like to see what i can get away with.....
Old 05-12-2005, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

My area in New York is shotgun or muzzle loader.I never carry the shotgun.Most of the time I use the inline,but on occasion I like to carry the sidelock with 385gr Great Plains conical.Accurate to 85+yds,and makes a BIG hole in deer.

charlie
Old 05-12-2005, 09:56 PM

Since Ohio is a shotgun state, I would rather use a muzzleloader than a shotgun now. For many years I hunted with a shotgun in Iowa and started muzzleloading last year and fell in love with it. It's way more accurate than a shotgun and also is a bit more challenging as you only have one shot, but that's all you need anyway if you do the job right. If I was to hunt during a shotgun season now I would automatically take the muzzleloader and leave the shotgun in the safe.

Quick Reply: I've come to a decision...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.