Community
Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

Some things you will need

Old 12-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Some things you will need

Whoever started this sub-forum - its a great idea. So many up and coming muzzleloader shooters with the sport of muzzleloading becoming more and more popular. So lets start by some of the things you may need to start getting into it:
First and foremost though, be sure to check your state's rules and regulations regarding what is legal.
OK, here we go
1. Obviously you need a rifle. If you are pursuing nothing larger than deer, a .45 cal will suffice. However the .50 is by far the most popular and most versatile and will handle bigger game. The .54 and .58 cals are also very potent calibers.
There are basically two type of rifles. The traditional sidelocks which have either a flintlock or percussion ignition and the inline which, as the name suggest is any muzzleloader where the ignition system (either percussion cap or 209 primer) is directly in line with the bore or right behind the charge.
2. Powder:Black powder comes in various granulation sizes. Fg is cannon powder and we don't need that. The most popular sizes are FFg and FFFg. FFFg is used mostly for pistols and .45 and smaller rifle calibers. But it is also sometimes used in the larger calibers. FFg is common for .50 caliber and larger. FFFFg is used only for priming the pan in a flintlock ignition. Black powder can be used in all muzzleloaders.
Substitute powders are also becoming popular. Some of the most common are Triple 7, Pyrodex, and the relatively new Blackhorn 209. The substitutes should not be used in a flintlock rifle nor should the Blackhorn 209 be used in any sidelock as it requires a hotter flash for reliable ignition and the same can be said for Pyrodex or triple 7 pellets. Triple 7 and Pyrodex can be used in percussion or inline MLs. BH209 is one of cleanest powders available for ML.
There is a lot more information available from other forum members so we can let it go at that.
3. Range rod: This is a rod that will accompany you to the range to assist you in loading and cleaning your rifle.
4. Powder flask to hold the powder of your choice.
5. Ignition supplies (either FFFFg powder, percussion or musket caps, 209 primers.
6. Bullets. Your rifle's twist rate will determine the bullet you choose. Most inline MLs in .50 cal have a 1:28 twist rate which will give you a wide choice of bullets - conicals or saboted bullets. Production sidelocks usually have 1:32 or 1:48 twist rates . There are exceptions to these rates.
7. Cleaning supplies: solvent, patches, appropriate size cleaning jag, gun oil.

One thing you need to understand is that it seems as though each and every ML has its own favorite load combination of bullet and powder type/charge.

Good luck, I am sure more info will follow in this post and a lot of other questions asked. That's the great thing about this forum. The guys in here are a great bunch of guys and extremely helpful.

Last edited by bronko22000; 12-16-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:20 AM
Spike

Excellent idea...

I wish I had a resource like this when I started shooting a muzzleloader (TC Encore Inline). It takes a long time to figure it all out by yourself, especially if you take bad advice like I did.

I was picking up some shooting supplies the other day at my local sporting goods store and noticed a guy was spending a lot of time looking at the muzzleloader supplies. He had just bought a new inline muzzleloader and was trying to figure out everything he needed to go shoot it for the first time... I remember doing the same thing years ago, so I was glad I could help him get started.

I would add a few items to bronko's list above that may not be absolutely necessary, but are nice to have.

1. Bullet alignment tool- If you shoot sabot bullets, a bullet alignment tool helps load the bullet straight. I like to have two of them (one for bullet starter and one for range rod) so I don't have to spent time changing from the starter to the range rod.

2. Bore snake- I find it very helpful to use a Bore snake to clean between shots. When working up a load or sighting in, I clean the barrel after every shot. I clean the breech plug after 4 or 5 shots and use the bore snake then when the breech plug is removed.

3. 7/16 socket and wrench - If you don't have a quick release breech plug, this speeds things up.

4. 1/8th inch drill bit - for cleaning the fire/ignition channel of the breech end of the breech plug.

5. Small dental cleaning brush or breech pick - for cleaning the front end of the fire/ignition channel of the breech plug