Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Black Powder Reference Forum
Retrieving bore brush fm fixed breech ML >

Retrieving bore brush fm fixed breech ML

Community
Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

Retrieving bore brush fm fixed breech ML

Old 03-06-2013, 02:40 AM
Spike

Default Retrieving bore brush fm fixed breech ML

Had this happen yesterday. Some might find it useful:

While cleaning my .54 Deerstalker, the brush broke off in the bore. Brand new TC brush; snapped on first stroke when I went to pull it out.

Realized a metal tube that fit inside the bore could capture the brush, but didn't have anything long enough. Did have an empty .338 Win Mag. case that I found would just fit inside a .54 bore.

Cut off the case's bottleneck at the wide end and drilled out the primer pocket with a #11 drill. Found a 1/2" 10-32 phillips head screw lying on the bench, dropped that in the case, and jiggled it around until the threaded portion dropped through the reamed out primer hole. Stuck a screwdriver in the open end of the case and attached the case to my range-rod using the 10-32 screw.

Ran this contraption down bore, forced the open end of the case over the brush and pulled up. Brush came out easily on the first try.

The 338 case is too fat for a .50, but a 30-06 or 270 case should work...would've probably worked in the .54, too.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good one Short Start.

Last edited by Semisane; 03-06-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

You sir (or ma'am) are a very resourceful individual!