Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

FORT MCMURRAY BEAR HUNT

Old 04-25-2005, 10:20 AM

Default FORT MCMURRAY BEAR HUNT

I will be in Fort Mcmurray on May 6-13 for my first bear hunt, I was wondering are most of the bears out of their dens, or did I pick a week to early in the season. I am not sure how much snow, or how the weather was during the winter that will affect the bears waking up early/late. Will bugs be a problem this time of the season?

Any info is appreciated

Thank You
Old 04-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: FORT MCMURRAY BEAR HUNT

Stubblejumper would be a good resource seeing he live in Fort Mac. I would assume you should be OK, seeing the west has had a pretty warm start this year.

The bugs are out in Sask now, but not in force. Generally aren't a huge problem till mid may or so but this year lots of standing water from a wet fall and decent snow cover so I suspect they'll be killer this year in most areas and most likely we'll see them a bit earlier as well. Although we still have some frost in the AM which helps a lot. I'd plan for them just in case but either stubblejumper or your outfitter would be a better source of info.

Best of luck
Old 04-25-2005, 09:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

The weather has been very warm and bears are starting to come out now.Saw a big boar right in the city on the weekend.The forcast is for cooler weather for the next several days which could slow things down but with good weather the movement should pick right up in a week or so.The middle two weeks of may are actually my favorite weeks to hunt bear because the bugs are not out in full force yet.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:17 PM
Spike

Who are you going on your hunt with?

I was just up in that area checking baits, the bears have been hitting them hard.

RAndy
Old 04-26-2005, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the info, I will be hunting with Dale Mckinnon outfitters. I originally had the week of May 20, I quess that would have been better, because of a communication break down I took May 6.

Stubblejumper & anyone else in the area, if you can make it out for a beer/soda that night it would be nice to meet you, I do not post much but I check here every day.

I will be arriving at Fort McMurray airport Fiday May 6, at 2:00 pm with 4 friends, I wll be staying at some B&B (do not know the name yet ), if you can make it out let me know, Try to set something up.

THANKS