Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 A different question for all you mighty hunters..... >

A different question for all you mighty hunters.....

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

A different question for all you mighty hunters.....

Old 04-06-2005, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A different question for all you mighty hunters.....

I hunt with my 15 year old son. Thus far, a pronghorn antelope hunt to Wyoming last October (my son bagged a buck and I took a doe) and a deer hunt in Oklahoma last November (I took a doe, my son was skunked, because he refused to get a combo license -- first deer HAS TO BE A BUCK!!! -- and he never saw a buck).

Now, I don't sit with him on stand while deer hunting, and the pronghorn stalk is a solitary affair, but I suppose these both still qualify as "hunting together." While I continue to enjoy taking game, I think I can honestly say it pleases me more for my son to take the game than me. For example, I was pleased my son took the grander buck pronghorn while I took the less grand -- in terms of appearance, the doe tastes better -- doe pronghorn.

My wife has said she would like to go upland bird hunting with me, and I would like that but so far have not determined a place to hunt and other logistics details. My oldest daughter evinces no interest in hunting, though I have asked her, so I guess she won't be hunting with me. My youngest daughter, however, seems to have more interest in hunting. At 8 years old it will be several more years before we can hunt together, but if she is still interested, perhaps at 12 years of age, I'll get her through a hunter safety course and begin shooting at the shooting range, try to hunt some squirrels, and progress.

Hunting with your family can be very quality time. For example, my son and I spent a lot of good time on the pronghorn trip: driving 1,100 miles from North Texas to Gillette, Wyoming, at restaurants, at the motel, hunting. I barely get 5 minutes of his time during the average school day, but on the hunting trip we were together 24 hours a day for 8 days, in exciting and pleasant circumstances. A good opportunity to build rapport -- or reestablish rapport.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt with my buddies and my son 95% of the time...the rest I like to do by myself.....sometimes being alone is the best!
Old 04-06-2005, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt with family 99% of the time,atleast 1 or 2 trips with the boys for our hunts.

My wife loves to hunt,but my passion lies in elk hunting and her knees can hold up to the strain of up and down mountains(to many years barrel racing).She goes deer hunting with me and I helped her bag her first buck,a nice 4 point.As for a family as a whole we don't do much with 4 kids ranging from 7 to 3 years old about we get to do is bounch around in the pick-up looking for bears on old logging roads.The kids love to hunt they all get to go a few days with their old man.One boy love to pheasnt hunt,the other loves to hunt coyotes,the youngest girl love to hunt deer,and the oldest loves to chase turkeys with me.So I guess we all get to hunt together in some ways.
The rest of the season I hunt with family and friends.
BBJ
Old 04-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

My wife hikchick and I try to hunt together as much as possiable. That has not been easy the last few years with the kids. Also it depends on where I am hunting, I have certian areas that I hunt that are simply to hard for my wife, but that is changing with horses. I might not hunt side by side but she has been in camp. Also I look foward to hunting with my kids.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

My girlfriend stays home and supports me 100% with all that I do. Our time apart is just as important as our time together. As far as having a wife someday. We figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it??????
Old 04-06-2005, 04:54 PM
Dominant Buck

My wife has been going with me every year for the last 37yrs,except when I go out of state and my
son for the last 20yrs. He'd rather tounament bass fish than hunt,
but like's both.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a real loner hunter, don't usually hunt with anyone. But my nephew has changed that a little bit. I set aside one weekend each bow season to take him out on an elk hunt. I took him out when he was 8; we hiked in 6 miles and camped for two nights. We got into the middle of four bugling bulls at once, called in two of them. He found a shed antler that I had walked right past on the same trip. That hunt is one of my most memorable ever, and I hope to share many more with the little guy. I got him a bow this summer, so he can start the long process of becoming a bowhunter himself.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd bring anyone with me who is wiling to go or i can hunt by myself (with company of others is always better)
Old 04-09-2005, 06:36 PM

I enjoy hunting alone as well as with others. Two different enjoyments. When I watch someone in our team get something, I'm as happy or happier for them. Hunting alone though gives me a sense of peace. I feel a little more in touch when I'm alone slippin' through the fog. I've been tryin to get my girlfriend her first kill for years now. She doesn't get much time off and whatever ends up in the sights is always out of season.Maybe this year!
Old 04-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt elk and deer with my wife every year since we have been married. Both our boys come along as well. I am limited in what I can do.....not as many long treks as I did when I was single, but, I still manage to get away for a day hike a couple times during the season.

I still wouldn't trade it for being by myself. She enjoys hunting a bunch....the smells, the campfires, the trip home, and she is a pretty good shot. She is also very good at spotting game. I wouldn't trade her or the boys company for anything....their joy is a large measure of what makes my hunt.

As far as the boys go, one just turned 5....he went on his first trip last year (he is adopted) and was able to put his hands on some fresh elk poop and step in some wolf tracks...and, he learned why you pee downhill. The other one is 22 and has some pretty significant physical handicaps. He has fun as well. We hope to take him to a friends ranch this year and shoot some of those pesky bulls that eat my friends haystacks.

Quick Reply: A different question for all you mighty hunters.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.