Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 It's not how big it is, it's how you use it.. >

It's not how big it is, it's how you use it..

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

It's not how big it is, it's how you use it..

Old 03-29-2005, 02:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: It's not how big it is, it's how you use it..

I have attached a picture for your viewing enjoyment, it can also be found on my website. It is a B&C moose we took here in Alberta, It was crossing a cut line full trot, behind six cows. The shooter killed it with a single lung shot, from a 243 with an 80 grain reloaded bullet. He was a man that new his gun, and was absolutly certain about is abilities. It took 9 men to roll this bull off the tree he died against. (the gun in the picture is my 30-06 bush buddy)
Yep very impressive and had he hit it in the guts would it still be on your website and would he still brag about it ? How far was the shot? How far did it run after it was hit? I equate this to using ultralight tackle on 200 lb Tarpon. But fortunately a Tarpon just breaks off and lives the poor Moose just goes off and dies a miserable death. Bottom line Big Animal Big Tool if you can't handle what is needed then practice practice practice until you can or don't waste your time and money or the patience of an outfitter and most importantly the life of a Big Game Animal.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I fear that a gut shot with a bigger caliber would result in the same thing. A lost moose. Bigger rifles don't cure gut shooting. It would have been a risky shot with any rifle. This time things worked out. usually it doesn't.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:34 AM
Spike

Simmer down Oldelkhunter..
the answer to your question is yes it would still be there, or I would still be looking for it..lol
The shot was about 50 yards, and it pilled up aginst a tree 20 yards off the cut line.

You are very right about the fact that he should have used a bigger gun, but he didn't, and the reason I told you the size of the gun was to show that even though it was under sized, he had the ability and confidence to make that shot, and that any weapon properly used can kill any animal.
Once again I don't suggest that anyone take a 243 moose hunting with them.. A 345 H&H will do just fine as long as you don't hit it in the a$$...LOL

Nicely said James..

Spyro.. In the end we will all take the shot that we feel is a good shot, and only we will have to live by our choice, no man is perfect(only women are perfect..lol). . I have shot more moose than I can remember, and more bears than I should have. . Living here, I have the luxury of passing on game, I don't allow myself to be in the position where I think it is do or die. I spend fourty plus days a year hunting, and see more animals than one can count. So now, if I see a moose that does not give me a clean shot, no big deal I will prob see another soon enough. Alberta is loaded with big game, and plenty of free land to hunt them on, I would guess that I saw 30 moose last fall. I was fortunate enough to have been born in Alberta I guess...lol

For the record, I use my Rem700 300 win mag for moose/elk(160gr.), and my Rem700 7mm mag for deer(150gr.) the Marlin 30-30 with a dot scope for Bear(protection)
the other guns I have for the young nephews, and cousin that I take out.
Ulitamatly I prefer to use mY Hoyte Viper WHAT A BOW... (it was signed by Ted Nugent, but I think he's an A$$ so I scrapped it off... YOu can keep that guy...)

Spyro, I may be full up for bear this spring, but I have some moose/bear combo hunts for the fall...HMMM

Here is the moose I shot this past fall, not huge antlers, but antlers are over rated on a moose anyway.. He sure was tasty though...

Old 03-30-2005, 02:01 AM

BDOA,

My fall schedule is all full and I am expecting to draw a few more tags on top of it.

I was hoping to squeeze in another bear hunt this spring, in june, after I do a couple of other bear hunts.

Funny you mentioned your Hoyt... the reason why I am even looking for a couple of spots is because a couple of my bowhunting buddies and I are getting a little antsy to hunt with the bows.

I am ALWAYS looking for late cancelation or late booking deals... I can usually go myself or have some one that can go.

Keep me in mind...

SA
Old 03-30-2005, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

fear that a gut shot with a bigger caliber would result in the same thing. A lost moose. Bigger rifles don't cure gut shooting. It would have been a risky shot with any rifle. This time things worked out. usually it doesn't
True but to use a 243 for any moose/elk is plain stupid and to use an 80 grain bullet ..what the he** is that all about? Now I will hear a plethora of moose killed with 222 and 243's stories ..Let them start rolling in. I'll get the violin fired up.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

You guys are missing the point here.The 30-30 will kill big game it has proven that.But when the 30-30 made it's name it was the best thing out there in the early 1900,s-late 1800's.The guys that went to them were the same guys who used the big winchesters and black powder.Nobody argues a old flintlock rifle from Daniel Boone killed big game also,When better equipment became avilible they opted for the newer rifles,new cartriges,better sights.

Now why would you limit your self to a early 1900's era cartrige when there are better ones avalible?
The guys who used the 30-40 krag,went to new guns,same as the guys who used the 300 savage,not cause they didn't work,but because better ones became avalible.

I know alot of diffrent guns work for diffrent thing,but why use a marginal cartrige on a marginal shot,or animal.You have got to know limitations,angles bone,and on and on.
Used a gun that is up to the job at task,not one thet you think works.

I my self have used a wide range of cartriges on elk,have not had the opptunity for moose yet.I have used any thing from a .243-to a 416 Rem mag,and what I have seen work and has worked I stayed with.
I have a brother in law that is a good elk hunter and guides part time.He always laughed at me cause I carried a magnum of some sort for elk,He told all you need for elk is a 30-06,not thet magnum.Well after put 4 rounds in to a bull at less than 50 yds and not one broke hide on the other side or even broke the shoulder,and after a neck shot that put him down,did he realize what I was saying.He now totes a .338 UM,and befor thet a .300 UM.You could not pry that gun from his dead hands it is that valuble to him.

You don't need a mag to kill elk,but it dose help.
BBJ
Old 03-31-2005, 12:27 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: SpyroAndes

BDOA,

My fall schedule is all full and I am expecting to draw a few more tags on top of it.

I was hoping to squeeze in another bear hunt this spring, in june, after I do a couple of other bear hunts.

Funny you mentioned your Hoyt... the reason why I am even looking for a couple of spots is because a couple of my bowhunting buddies and I are getting a little antsy to hunt with the bows.

I am ALWAYS looking for late cancelation or late booking deals... I can usually go myself or have some one that can go.

Keep me in mind...

SA
I'll tell you what I am going to help out a friend at his camp after mine is done, it should be around the 20th of may,if that falls into your time slot, let me know.. I talked with him about it he has dropped his fee to fill his last three tags. $7000 for all three. that would work out to 3K for each of your friends, and a thousand for you..lol I will be there, to guide for him, as he is short help this year. Good zone, lots of bears.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:19 AM

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

I have attached a picture for your viewing enjoyment, it can also be found on my website. It is a B&C moose we took here in Alberta, It was crossing a cut line full trot, behind six cows. The shooter killed it with a single lung shot, from a 243 with an 80 grain reloaded bullet. He was a man that new his gun, and was absolutly certain about is abilities. It took 9 men to roll this bull off the tree he died against. (the gun in the picture is my 30-06 bush buddy)
Yep very impressive and had he hit it in the guts would it still be on your website and would he still brag about it ? How far was the shot? How far did it run after it was hit? I equate this to using ultralight tackle on 200 lb Tarpon. But fortunately a Tarpon just breaks off and lives the poor Moose just goes off and dies a miserable death. Bottom line Big Animal Big Tool if you can't handle what is needed then practice practice practice until you can or don't waste your time and money or the patience of an outfitter and most importantly the life of a Big Game Animal.
Finnally you spoke my mind OldElkHunter , All the way , this is what i have been thinking the hole time. Fishing tackle and the hole 9 yards !!!!!!--