Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 What's a good .270 weight / brand for elk? >

What's a good .270 weight / brand for elk?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What's a good .270 weight / brand for elk?

Old 03-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What's a good .270 weight / brand for elk?

Not being a pain but there is a big difrancs from elk to moose.Most all the moose I come up on I could kill with a speer or just stab with my knife. heck a long shot for a moose is 50 yards.

Shot place ment is the biggest deal.If you hit the sholder bone of an elk you will be tracking him with a 270.There is a lot of elk killed with a 270 dew to the fact that is there deer gun.

You will never hear any shooter go yep I shoot 3 elk this year befor I finaly got the bulet between its ribs.

I am a game retriver!!!! I go to the woods to pack out game every year. Every year I have to go track elk shoot with a lesser gun than .308. In 7 years I have only hade to track 1 elk shoot with the 30-06. All the reast where shoot with lesser guns.

If you are going to hunt elk with a 270 plz take your time and do not try to shoot though there sholder.Barns are good rounds for elk in a light gun.

I am sure I will hear crap. What it comes down to is dont shoot a running shot if you have a 270.Dont shoot over 200 yards.Dont shoot in heavy timber.

Make sure you have a very very good shot befor pulling the trigger. I hate to track elk.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:54 AM
Typical Buck

ELKINMTCWB I too have spent some time in the past as a game retriever and I've had the same experience as you. You hear all these stories about somebody being a hunter for 75 years and they've shot over 150 elk with their old .270 and not one elk has left it's tracks. I don't call someone a liar if I don't know em but it does make me put on my waders just in case I step in some crap. Seriously though the more time I spend on this board the less I like to debate but for whatevers it's worth to anybody reading this I believe the .270 is a marginal elk rifle. They say life is about perspective and the .270 might have been a great elk rifle at one time because it was one of the best. But today there are such better cartridges the .270 just looks pale in comparison.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:37 AM

ORIGINAL: jjwillie

What? no replies from Buglin Bulls?

I see all the 270 fans shut him up.
Nobody shut me up pardner !!

The 270 fans make laugh and actually saden me that someone can be so unethical, Maybe you should read a little something EKM has to say about this topic.

Advise from EKM ..Don't try to teach a pig to sing, it sounds like hell and irritates the pig!"?

: Bearklr: No offense directed but it's funny how you MUST have a certain game animal in your state in order to have experience hunting them. Must be a new law or something.
I guess your right you don't have to have elk in your state or have any experience hunting them !, G what was i thinking ?.....I guess people now a days think they know it all from there're little hunting and imformative videos and reading books to be master hunters, But you know what experience isn't taught it is earned pal. People can learn some from other's I believe yes, and i like to as well but it seems like some many people like to rely on videos and books to teach them better & then they think they know it all . But what about those guys that busted their ass's learning this information all on their own , From Experience not watching and reading. I believe that's how you gain experience & Knowledge the best .
Old 03-28-2005, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't think the brand is all that important. I would try to find one with a 24 inch barrel but thats just my choice. The 270 has been used with great success since 1925. Anyone who can't kill an elk with a 270 will have no better luck with Whiz Bang 70,000 either. I like the 30-06 but would not hestitate one nanno second to use a 270.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:59 PM

Get a bigger caliber
Old 03-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah in a state where the average bull is 2/3rds the size of a real bull
So apparently if you hunt elk in Colorado, a .270 will work just fine, 'cause after all, they ain't that BIG around here.. ...........You crack me up!!