Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best Elk Calls?

Old 02-18-2005, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Best Elk Calls?

I'll be bowhunting elk in Colorado this year and I wanted to get some opinions on which elk calls you guys favor...
Old 02-18-2005, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Best Elk Calls?

I like Abe & Son's Grunt Tube, and Sceery cow calls. Good luck.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Hollow grunt tube with a single, double, & triple reed. The first two from primos calls, the triple is from Berry, it's the triple deciever, you can imitate any sound with this trio!

For cow calling exclusively, I like the hyper lip single, Cow Talk, and my mouth calls. (reeds)--------------------ElkNut1
Old 02-19-2005, 08:41 AM

I use Sceery and Primos, but there are MANY calls which work just as well. Elk are like people, they made different sounds, change inflection, and sometimes sound like they even have the flu. I have to laugh when I read a thread where some self-proclaimed expert says this or that call is the "BEST". Last time I checked, no elk visit or post on the net. Therefore, no one KNOWS what an elk is really saying when they talk. We "think" we know, but we really don't. Once you spend some time listening to elk in the mtns, you'll see how different (yet alike) real elk sound.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:47 AM
Fork Horn

If you can use mouth reed calls I would go for Primos or Carlton. If you're looking for a bite & blow type call I would opt for Sceery and Carlton. Buy a couple of different ones and use them to sound like more than just one elk hangin' around. Get some instruction(not just hunting) videos and practice.

Also some people really like the Hoochie Mama from Primos. But I can never seem to get it to sound right on a consistant basis.

If you're looking for a Bugle The Primos Blue lip ???? external reed is pretty easy to use. But you must practice!! too many guys hit the woods with a bugle and think they are just going to call in a big bull. They only end up pushing Elk out and pi$$ing off other hunters who know what a REAL Elk sounds like.

Just my 2 pesos.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

brother hal----You've got to be more careful, you can't just go throwing out statements like that, (elk talk) heck, I darned near chocked on my sandwhich when I read your post!!!!! You've got to give a guy some sort of fair warning first off!!!! Jeeesh!!!

Let me be the first to say that your statement is a very uneducated one. (no offense meant) But, you can understand elk talk! Bulls communicate with other elk all the time and vice-versa. Bulls give greeting sounds, challenges, different sounds when calling a lone cow to him, different sounds when talking to his harem, various types of intimidating sounds to other bulls, all have meaning, and when understood it's much easier to communicate back in a language that makes sense to them, instead of a bunch of elk jibberish!

Like-wise, cows too communicate with other cows or their young as well as with the herd or bulls. Lead cows use a certain high pitch sound when leading the herd from feeding to bedding or vice-versa. Cows use a welcoming sound when inviting other elk to join them, you may have heard it when giving off types of bugles and cows respond to your calls. They give off distress sounds when being bothered or annoyed. Mature cows use certain types of squabbling sounds when battling for lead cow position. Cows give pleading or begging type sounds when wanting a certain bull.--Of course there's much more, but this gives you an idea where I'm coming from. Elk do communicate, and you can make certain sounds that will attract elk, intentionally, not by mistake!!

You may have experienced many of these sounds but were unfamiliar with what they meant. Once you do understand them I guranttee you'll change your tune or your way of thinking!! Too, you'll be a much better & smarter hunter letting few opportunities slip away because of lack of understanding!--------------------ElkNut1
Old 02-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

bro, bro, bro! Have you got alot to learn. Listen to the experts. That's why they are experts. I suppose you think that when a dog growls he could really be saying, "Come put your hand in my face and I'll lick it for ya!!" Get a clue!! There are people here who obviously know more than you. Instead of slamming them, learn from them. You could use it.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree and back up Elknut, he is right one the money. If you go out and just blow your bugle tube or just blow on your cow call with realy no overall plan in what you are doing/trying to say, then most likley nothing will happen. I honestly think that most 90% of all elk hunters go out each fall and do just that they go out and just blow their horn so to speak. A lot of years I have ran into hunters who say man I tried to call but this year these elk calls just don't work, the elk are too call shy. I ask what they are using and they will only show me one or two calls at the most. I then show them my small collection, and they laugh or might try to even poke a joke at me. But I just smile and think man if they were only with me a couple hours ago when I called in a bull or that cow, then I wonder what they would think then. Elk do speak and talk to each other and learning what they say and when to say it can and will be the difference between punching an elk tag and comming home empty handed. Also I am not talking about just during the archey Season, but year around. I am amazed that more rifle hunters don't use elk calls in October to late season. I have asked a lot of rifles hunters what elk call if any are they going to use. Knowing dang well what time of year they were planning to rifle hunt. The majority of them just look at me funny and say "I am not planning on using any elk calls, I'm rifle hunting I thought you knew that?" I think or say (if I know them) well if you only knew what additional opprotunities that good calling could give ya even during late rifle season, then the calls would be first on your list right along with your rifle. Anyone who doesn't want to believe what were saying,,,, well thats fine with me, because your the one missing out. But I am telling you if you learn to call well, know what to say and when to say it then,, sit back and the enjoy the show!!!
Old 02-20-2005, 07:28 AM

Until their are scientific studies performed on elk brain wave activity, pattern densities and shifting, etc., I will always contend that no one KNOWS what an elk is saying. Certainly, through repeated observations one can assume what the animal "means" with it's vocalization based on responses to your calls, but that does not mean he KNOWs. Nothing posted here is backed up with known scientific facts. While some may get their feelings hurt, that was not the intent of my earlier post. Don't be so thinned skinned!
Old 02-20-2005, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

I will agree with Brother Hal on his point that there are many calls out there that work. I've got a little Woods wise cow call that I paid all of $8.00 for that is always with me on my Elk hunts. I've even heard of Elk being called in with a flexable drinking straw. Probably by luck. But that's what I've heard?????

But with that said........ I believe it has been proven that we can understand what Elk are saying. Not in a conversation sense as we know it but with different pitches (low to high and high to low) Whether it be for saying hey everything is OK or maybe a barking sound (high pitch and quik) to say hey there is danger let's get out of here!!! During the rut, there are many ways for a cow to tell a bull hey big boy let's get togther or for a bulls bugle to let another bull know how he feels about things or just to say i'll be over here if you need me. There is a reason for different pitched calls.Lost calf,lonsome cow, hot cow,locating bugle,challange bugle,etc.
Bottom line is if you're going to Elk hunt get several call's and learn how to use them. If you don't live in elk country,buy some instructional vidios and practice.

IEI,
Good point about the rifle hunter's. Elk are vocal year round. Not just during the rut. Rifle hunter's .....Use your call's!!!!

Bill

Quick Reply: Best Elk Calls?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.