Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

7mm STW

Old 02-18-2005, 11:16 AM

Default 7mm STW

I'm looking to puchase an all aound gun for Elk, Mule Deer and Whitetail. I like the numbers on the 7mm STW on paper but I value personal experience over all literature.
Any and all input would be apreciated especially regarding Elk.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 7mm STW

The 7mm STW is a good all-around West caliber.The only problem with it is if you don't re-load you don't have many options with ammo.Federal makes two loadings one is 160 gr Nosler ACC-Bond(wich I would choose)and one 150 gr Nosler Soild Base Boat-tail.If iwas looking at a gun of that class of recoil,I would probaly step up to the 300 Win Mag or even a 300 Ultra Mag. or back to a 7mm Rem Mag.
I have used these calibers and they work well on all you metioned for animals and then some.
BBJ
Old 02-18-2005, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

If iwas looking at a gun of that class of recoil,I would probaly step up to the 300 Win Mag or even a 300 Ultra Mag. or back to a 7mm Rem Mag
The 7mmstw and the 300ultramag are not in the same class of recoil at all.I have two 7mmstw's and I have shot five elk with them using the 140gr partition.The results were very good with all bullets but one exiting and that one was a raking shot that lodged in the neck after passing through the chest.I have also taken about a dozen deer,two pronghorns and a bighorn with the 7mmstw and find it to offer very flat trajectory and excellent performance on game.I also have two 300 ultramags and the recoil is certainly much more substancial.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

My brother loves his STW, not my cup of tee, but its a great deer or antelope cartridge. In fact it could be argued it doesn't get any better than that where long range shots are taken at deer or antelope. A big fast .300 seem to put big holes in deer with a lot of meat damage. IMO the STW doesn't seem to be as damaging with my limited experience.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not to knock the people that use them and like them but you couldn't give me an STW or ultra mag under .33 caliber. The case capasity of these cartridges is so far over bore that much of the powder burns up outside the barrel so unless you are toting a rifle with a 26" or longer barrel the STW "would be" gains are even further diminished.

Their performance gain is so little compared to the standard magnums that I see very little use for them outside the guy that already has a large rifle collection and just wants another rifle in his safe.

Compare Federals published data on the 7mm STW and the 7mm Rem mag with 160 grain accubonds.

The STW starts out at 3100 fps with 3415 pounds of energy and at 400 yards is still going 2410 fps and has 2065 pounds of energy.

The Rem mag starts out at 2950 fps with 3095 pounds of energy and at 400 yards is still going 2280 fps and has 1850 pounds of energy.

At 400 yards they have about as much energy differance as a hyper velocity 36 grain 22lr round. Think an elk will notice that? I don't.

And sight the two in to hit the line of sight at 250 yards and there is only a 1.6" advantage to the STW.

IMO the very small advantage that the STW has does not warrant the added muzzle blast, noise, recoil, throat erosion, lack of available ammunition, and cost of the STW.

You would be much better off with any of the "standard" magnums or the WSM's in 7mm or 300.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Compare Federals published data on the 7mm STW and the 7mm Rem mag with 160 grain accubonds.

The STW starts out at 3100 fps with 3415 pounds of energy and at 400 yards is still going 2410 fps and has 2065 pounds of energy.
That is the reason that I would not own a 7mmstw if I didn't reload.The factory loads are pathetically mild.With handloads the 7mmstw will drive the 160gr bullets at between 3250fps and 3300fps.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Like any other cartridge the 7 MM Remington can also be pushed well beyond its factory loadings. As BC said, no animal would know the difference. Anything you can take with one you can take with the other. If you don't reload you may have trouble finding ammo for the STW. I have never seen a box of them in your town.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like any other cartridge the 7 MM Remington can also be pushed well beyond its factory loadings
Actually the 7mmremmag is available in loads that are much closer to it's potential than the 7mmstw or the ultramags.The wsm's are loaded very close to their potential and many of the weatherby mags are loaded to provide as much velocity as can be obtained with most handloads(weatherby brand ammunition).
Old 02-23-2005, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 7mmstw and the 300ultramag are not in the same class of recoil at all.

Stumble,
I said if I were to go that class of recoil, I would move up to a 300 win Mag or EVEN MORE a 300 Ultra mag.Recoil is more than noticble in a STW than a standared round like say a 30-06.Plus a I can push a bigger bulett like say 220 rather than a 175.
A 160 gr from a STW and a 180 gr from a 300 winnie is comparble to felt recoil.
I agree a 300 Ulta Mag has a bit more bite than the 7 STW or the 300 Win mag or WSM

To get what a guy wan'ts out of a STW is handload and have at least a 26 inch pipe.If not go back to a 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag.
I realy do like the 7mm STW,it is a good round the only problem is lack of factory rounds that hold it's potential and avalibility.
BBJ
Old 02-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like my 7mm-STW. I handload 140-grain & 160-grain Nosler Partitions for this rifle. I bought this rifle for long range hunting. I use this rifle for antelope, deer & on from time to time elk hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.