Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

7mm STW

Old 02-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 7mm STW

OK I'm going traditional,
If you want an all around rifle, that can take most, if not all North American animals you're looking at a 30.06
Plain and simple!!!! If you don't re-load and are looking for a rifle with the widest range of bullet weight (120 grn to 220grn????) and off the shelf availability............. This is your rifle!!!!!

But if you re-load or can get readily available ammo..........Then go for the gun that you want!!!

Bill
Old 02-23-2005, 06:58 PM

Default RE: 7mm STW

I think the STW is simply one of the most under-utilized rounds in the industry. BUT its probably for good reason. The round is only marginally ahead of the 7RemMag (and then more on paper than the effects on game) and as was mentioned you have to go with magnum length actions and 26" pipes to realize the full effect of the caliber. Also as was stated, the factory STW ammo offerings are just plain embarrassing at best!

Stoke up the STW with handloads and you will begin to see it gain its stride. But the same can be said for either the 7Rem and the 300Win. They are completely capable with 24" barrels as well. I have never seen a STW do anything that a 300Win couldnt have done equally, and cheaper as well.

If a 7 super is wanted then I personally would step on up too either the 7Ultra (again limited ammo offerings over the counter!) or go flatout and go for the Lazzeroni Firebird (his ammo is HOT HOT HOT but you better take your loan officer's card with you when you buy ammo, assuming you can find it). The STW has been around for years, but I believe it was just standardized to late in the game, the various factory super mags overtook it before it caught on with ammo makers.

Also as was said, if you are like myself and plenty others and have a safe full of rifles and just want another "just for farts n giggles" then by all means don't let us stop you! The caliber is certainly more than capable when loaded correctly (but can't the same be said for most other calibers when you get right down too it? )

As for the 7WSM, its practically a failure in this country but is making headway on other continents! I simply haven't seen any reason NOT to like the WSMs,
RA
Old 03-14-2017, 08:37 AM
Spike

Default Stw smokes

I shoot nosler brass 140grain accubond on 88 grains of h1000 overall case length 3.66 inches velocity 3600fps accuracy one ragged hole at 100 yards less than a quarter inch have hunted everything with this load and works extremely well if you do not handload your own rounds I would stick with 7 mag or 28 nosler happy shooting
Old 03-14-2017, 11:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

You do know this thread has been dead for 12 years right? Why not start a new thread?
Old 03-14-2017, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I knew it the minute I saw "BigBulls".

Anyone hear from him ??
Old 03-23-2017, 11:52 AM
Spike

I live in Colorado and hunt deer and elk here, and I travel to Wyoming for antelope and sometimes deer or elk. My rifle is a .308 and with a good round (Federal Premium 165s) I have never felt under-gunned even when hunting with friends who refer to my "little gun". I have a Leopold CDS on my 3x9 scope and I have found it to be plenty of gun for the hunting I do. Generally, I will not shoot over 300 yards with this setup but it is a pleasure to shoot. Many come to my state with 300 Win Mags, some even larger, but I think that a 30-06 or 7mm Magnum would be a better choice as you could shoot it enough to be good with it. If I owned a 300 Win Mag or something larger, I doubt I could shoot it well due to anticipated recoil and an aversion to practice with it. The CDS system on the Leopold scope is magnificent, allowing you to range the target, dial the distance, and hold dead-on. My 308 is a sweet shooter and I like hunting with it.