Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Tipping your guide

Old 02-18-2005, 09:35 PM

Default RE: Tipping your guide

Well this topic sure is interesting as an owner operator of a whitetail outfitting operation in North West Ontario Canada ,all I have to say about tips is if the people working for you make your stay and your hunt a fantastic time and a great success let them know that ,you know the money is not allways the most important thing if you treat my staff good and give them a little something to show them you appreciated all the hard work they did for you,well there would always be room at the inn.
Treat them bad and well I would allways be full when you called. and we do work our butts off for every hunter.Most outfitters are run by family and close friends and most people I guide become our friends.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

10 percent
Old 02-21-2005, 02:13 PM

tipping is a sore subject for me, some of you might disagree with me but here is why (and first off, it is not because i am trying to save a dollar either). When was the last time anyone ever gave you a tip?? i own a constuction company an i tell you, no one has ever gave me 10% more than what the final bill came to. i would say majority of the people are trying to screw me out of money, why does this cost so much, what about this what about that. i am out there busting my @#$ for these people to give them thier dream house and i can tell you, no one has ever gave me nothing. sometimes i wonder why i even get up in the morning (oh yeah to make other people happy) i have been in business for 25 years here and have done well, but i tell you, if i was to take one of these guiding trip, i sure as hell would leave no tip, they allready soak you a couple of grand (or more)so they are allready getting their cut, thats what they get paid to do, why give more??? because they did a good job? i do a good job too but what do i get??? i think you all know by now. so that is where i stand on tipping people, i dont agree with it, i do not tip at restaurants either because half the time the tip you left doesnt even go to that waiter/waitress it goes into a collection for that night and then every staff member get a cut, as well as the cooks, well tell me this, if one staff member say gets 100 dollars in tips that night and another gets 50, well the person that only got 50 will come out with 75 and the one that got 100 just lost 25 dollars because they now have 75 as well, because of this collection system and i think, well, the person i just gave that tip to should get what i gave them not split up amongst everone eaqually. anyways thats why i am so against tipping, and like i said it is not because i am cheap or anthing like that. and before you all start replying back to me about and calling me a prick or whatever i just want to say that this is my opinion only. i do hope that some of you agree with me but if you dont that is fine you are entitled to your onpinions too. thanks for listening to what i have to say.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welp after reading all the responces to this post I will not be going on this hunt

3500 for the hunt

200-300 for plane fair

300 for license

350.00 for the guide or I will have to be afriad to go back

God only knows what the cook and everybody else wants

Then the price to send my meat back whats that 100-200 bucks or more

And last but not least the mount another 500.00

so let me add this up

3500 outfitter
350 tip
300 plane fair
300 license
200 to ship meat
500 for taxidermist maybe even 600
200 for misalanious bull !@#$
--------

I am amazed at what people will pay to kill a animal. Hunting is going in a direction that I dont care to be a part off I'll put my trophys on the wall the old fasion way. I'll just let the rich folks buy there wall
Old 02-21-2005, 07:08 PM

Mr. Long I dont see anything wrong with what you came up with. Most people that have never taken a hunt outside of their own state see a hunt "cost" and think that is the bottom line. Its typically only half or not even that much of the total expense. Yep $5k is the hunt and thats ALL. It doesnt involve airfare, rental car (unless you are in a remote, pack in type hunt I strongly recommend getting your own wheels for a hunt) meat processing fees, taxidermy and shipping and yes TIPPING. Like I said, most hunt "costs/fees" end up typically being only 1/3-1/2 of the bottom line net cost of a hunt.

Thats something for ALL to consider before thinking, "Hey if I save up $10k for that Yukon mixed bag hunt, I'm IN like flint". Only to become broken hearted when they forgot to add XYX dollars for airfare, taxidermy fees, shipping and handling of trophies (FedEx/UPS doesnt work for charity!) rental car (again if applicable) and PROPER and REASONABLE tips. By the time its all said and done such a trip will usually run you in the $15k+ range.

But I honestly dont see the gripe. Expecting a "$5k hunt to strictly cost $5k" is un-realistic and very un-reasonable if you ask me. I suppose by some here's logic, they can go look at a FX4 CrewCab XLT Ford and cuss everyone out because it doesnt cost the same as the base model 2x4 6cyl 150 sitting beside it?

Hey I wish EVERYONE the luck, success and chance to pursue the trophies of their dreams at least once in their lifetimes. But if they are gonna moan and complain about the price and feel that they should get "the whole enchilada" just because they paid a hunt fee, thats just not right if you ask me. The whole idea of "hunt fee" is just that. Its payment for just what it implies... "the hunt itself". NOT for taking care of those who helped/fed you, got you there, picked you up at the airport, caped and cared for your trophy, etc...

Be reasonable,
RA
Old 02-23-2005, 09:01 AM

hear a lot in these posts about 10--15--20-percent--but have yet heard of what----percentage of hunt-1x1-2x1--if you are going to give someone an answer, give it so they can understand or at least decipher what you are talking about. in plain words give them the hard facts, rather than beat around the bush and try and convince people that you are extra smart--well you are not, this just shows your intellegent factor.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Mr. Longbeard
Welp after reading all the responces to this post I will not be going on this hunt
Mr. Longbeard I can see the way you are looking at it. Let's look at in another.
I want to hunt Mulies in CO. First I need to find a place to go and scout my area. I must get there(Plane,Train or Auto)$$ Of course I will need to take off work$$ Ok now I have found my place to hunt. You have now spent a bunch of $$ and you hunt hasn't even started.
Next I need to get back home and plan my hunt. Again I will have to make time from work.$$I will again have to travel$$ I now need to set up some sort of camp,Cooking Utensils,Coolers,Tent ,Sleeping Bag and a bunch more.$$ Doing this unassisted is going to take alot of time as well as more time off of work$$ and your relying on your experiance? in everything for this hunt. This and alot more will cost much more$$than it would if you hired an outfitter who has taken care of everything for you and given you one price along with his/her professional attention from A to Z.
If it were me I would think about what it would cost had I had to do it on my own. All I can come up with is alot more time and $$than an outfitter would cost.
A tip you betcha...If it was a good experiance...As my common sense say's these people did a whole bunch of work that I didn't have to do and saved me some$$$$
Old 02-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

I have always owned or done construction but during the years we also ventured into the sporting goods and guide business (out of it now- thank you). Everyone in that business knows what it is like BEFORE you start.. Guides know what they are doing it's there job. A tip is just a thank you its NOT REQUIRED. Do they tip you at work? probably not...it's NOT REQUIRED
Tipping guides large sums is something I am not in favor of. Giving a hunting guide $100 to $150 for a week is MAX. It's NOT REQUIRED..if that person took the job based on tipping he needs to find a new profession.
We build custom homes and additions that take 6 months...talk about a LONG butt kissing time --> not just a week here fellas...we don't get a tip don't expect one NOT REQUIRED

Just a question for you RedAllison NOT PICKING AT YOU I PROMISE----> when you buy a vehicle and spend lets say 60K on a Escalade EXT like I did do you tip the salesperson 6K? They educated you about the car, answered all the questions, let you test drive it...so why not tip them? Whats good for one should be good for all ?
Old 02-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

i cant but help feel like the help should be the number one priority of the owner of the outfitter service and not the clients burden. you go on the trips to hunt or fish and have fun and not have to stress and worry about tipping. if an outfitter feels its a must like with a cruise ship they should just put a side note in the contract as to a tipping guide. i tip on my trips but the variables are too many. i wouldnt worry about getting a bad rep for not being a big tipper thats just stupid.i look at it this way . if an outfitter charges 4500$ for a hunt they can certainly afford to give there cooks and guides appropriate pay. the biggest problem i see with booking hunting trips is that all the money is usually due way before the hunt begins. when you pull into camp i see there is not as much eagerness becausae that money is long gone so now the client has to reach into the pockets to perk up the atmosphere again. my bottom line is no more than you can afford. TIP STANDS FOR ----TO INSURE PROMT SERVICE. the service at these hunt prices should be there from the start. a tip should be a deserved part of the service not always mandatory[:'(]
Old 02-23-2005, 05:08 PM
Fork Horn

LiquidO
Well said! Your right there always seem to be that hanging over your head during the week...how much should I tip?
Check this out..do the math >>> I hunted in Alberta in the early 90's and they where getting $3200 per person x 8 men x 3 weeks Thats $76,800 for 3 weeks!
NOT including his bear hunts (always booked)
Moose hunts (always booked)
Not exactly sure but I think we figured something like 240K gross for his hunting seasons in the early 90's! - less then 3 months of actual work time not bad...He paid a indian woman to cook for everyone..sure he paid her well (haha)
Your right outfitters should take care of his guides..they can make him or break him...pay them well your making it.
Maybe they need a UNION?

Quick Reply: Tipping your guide

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.