Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

binocular suggestion?

Old 02-08-2005, 08:52 PM

Default RE: binocular suggestion?

7x or 8x42 is more versatile; better field of view (better in timber), easier to hold steady, bigger exit pupil (i.e. better at twilight unless you go to 10x50s)

10x42 is better for open country, timberline, but a bit more specialized...

8x42 is a good place to start, then get the 10x if you need them for an open country hunt
Old 02-16-2005, 11:22 AM

My hunting partners and I have a number of differant brands and models that work well in the field. I own Leupold/Wind River Olympic 10x50's. I couldn't be more pleased with them. A lot of my buddies have the Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42's. They are popular around here because of the price. $250 or so. I have some friends with Swarovski's and some with Zeiss. If you have money to blow that would deffinately be what I would do with it. Zeiss & Swarovski are the best! But if you're like me and my pals, there are some good optics out there from $250-$400 that are exceptional. I would consider Leupold, Pentax, Bausch & Lomb, Nikon. There are other good optics out there I'm sure, but I've dealt with these. They all stand behind there product. No matter what you go with, I would choose 8-10 power because of the long distances you'll be glassing. Do not get an objective lens that is less than 42. Get the biggest objective that you're willing to carry. You don't want to sacrafice size for being able to see at that crittical dusk & dawn. If you invest in the Bino system from Crooked Horn outfitters you won't even notice the differance in size. Good luck with your new binos!!
Old 02-16-2005, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

jjwillie, First off welcome to the board. I live & hunt in Montana. I hunt antelope, black bear, mule deer, whitetail deer & elk every year. I hunted for several years with either no binos or cheap ones. Last year I bought a pair of Swarovski SLC 10x42mm binos. They are worth every penny to me. I bought the 10x42 because I hunt more open country than dense heavy cover. The 8x42mm are a good choice if your field of view is limited.
You might want to look at ebay for a used pair of Swarovski, Leica or Zeiss binos?

Good luck,

Wolf Killer
Old 02-16-2005, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a set of windrivers and love them so much I bought the spotting scope too. I also use my spotting scope as a camera lens with a digital camera attatched. I can still hunt them for photos long after the season.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a set of Pentax 8x42 DCF WP's, and I am very happy with them. I am asking $340.00 + s&h if you are interested; I used them only once on my elk hunt this last year. The reason I am selling them is I want to purchase a set of Zeiss Victory II AOS 8x40B TP's. Good luck.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks to all who replied-

Fortunately for me, there was a huge sportsshow in Harrisburg, so I got to test all the different manufacturer's binos. Finally bought a pair of Zeiss.....

Thanks again
Old 02-17-2005, 09:22 PM

Money no object, price be damned? Then Leica's or Swarovski's best. You can't judge and shoot what you can't see!!!

More affordable (but still relatively expensively) take a look at the 10x40 Zeiss Conquest. They are GREAT optics for the price. I have a pair of 15x45 Conquest and just might have to get the 10s because they are so compact and light for their size.

More affordable and IMHO the greatest value in ALL of glassdom today? The 10x42 ATB Monarch from Nikon. You have to spend ALOT more money to get more optics than the Monarch's (goes for the entire line of scopes and binos doesn't it?).

You can find the Monarch's for less than $300, consider scrimpin and savin a lil longer if these are to expensive. The elcheapos you buy for $50-$150 @ Wallyworld aren't worth squat, wont last more than a few seasons at best aren't much of a value when you consider they won't last nearly as long as the above mentioned glasses.

Good luck,
RA

ps
LOL sorry jj, I didn't see your last post until I had already posted. If you got the Zeiss then you are MORE than prepared for a lifetime of quality service and performance. You'll soon learn why folks who have such optics won't have anything else from there on out. Quality equipment is for swearing by, not swearing AT!!!