" />

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Binocular help

Old 08-12-2006, 06:25 AM

Default Binocular help

I'm looking for binoculars that work well with glasses . I only wear them for readimg but when I do a lot of glassing I like to wear them to keep from getting eye strain any help I'll be greatful for
Old 08-12-2006, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Binocular help

I went through the binocular search last month, & was amazed at all the options out there.

Even at the entry-level price range, many had twist-up eye cups, so you could adjust them to where you needed them, & they'd stay there.

I can squint my way through a DMV eye exam with my 20/50 prescription, but I, too, like to wear my glasses most of the time. I found that with most of the binocs I tried, I left the eye cups all the way in.

I'd recommend going to a store with lots of different brands, and trying them all. You can find the ones you like, then check the prices of that store vs. the online places.

One caveat, however: beware of the high-end cabinet! When Iwent looking, I made the mistake of looking at the most expensive ones, just for kicks. I ended up getting the Zeiss FL's! DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck,

Folically Challenged
Old 08-12-2006, 03:48 PM

I gave up trying to find binoc's that work with glasses. Even got frustrated with the models advertised as being for use with glasses. I just tie my glasses to a croakie and let 'em hang while I'm glassing. Then they're right there when I'm done. In the field or on the truck.
You can do it, but I was never happy with the small little hole you end up looking through.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:31 AM

The Nikon Monarch ATB's in 8x42 work well with glasses. The newest model has eye guards that twist up and downmaking it very easy to use with glasses.

I usebinoc's thathave an exit pupil diameterthat is >5mm.Dividing the second number by the first in a binocular’s description tells you the size of the exit pupil diameter (for example, an 8x42 has a 5.25mm exit pupil because 42/8=5.25). The larger the number thelarger the view.

Try them at your local store.

Old 08-13-2006, 02:50 PM

I don't wear my reading glasses while glassing, but went through the binocular search last year. I has planned on spending up to $600 for a set. After looking at everything under that amount I settled on Nikon Monarch 10x42. Bought online for $250.

I don't think there is much difference in binocs that cost $200to $600. I see the difference coming when you start looking at the $800-$1000 range.