Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Our Idaho Elk

Old 02-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default Our Idaho Elk

Heres a couple pics of my elk. It was shot in the selway bitteroot wilderness. Walked up on it with 5 cows, shot it at 60 yards with my 7mm-08 140gr Barnes XLC, bullet went thru both shoulders and dropped like a rock.

Heres my dads elk. He shot this elk at 500 yards with a 270 Weatherby Mag, 1 time thru the chest and another in the head. I spotted these elk at 9am and hiked back down the mountain to find my dad, finally at 2pm we were back up to where the elk were, snuck within 700 yards but the woods opened up and we couldnt approach any farther. Finally fog rolled in and were were able to get within 500 yards, Dad took both shots laying down, on the second shot the elk reared back and slid a couple of hundred yards down the mountain. Both elk were shot within a half mile of each other and a third bull was shot in between my elk and his. Had an easy pack only a mile down to the truck.
Old 02-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Our Idaho Elk

shot it at 60 yards with my 7mm-08 140gr Barnes XLC, bullet went thru both shoulders and dropped like a rock.
You must be lying or something. Every one knows that a cartridge as puny as the 7mm-08 is not capeable of killing an elk. You gotta have at least a 300 magnum and preferably a 338 mag.

Very nice job on two nice elk. Those pics really make me miss not being able to go this year.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buckshot, nice bulls were they from this years hunt or another year. Do you hunt here in Idaho often? The selway wilderness is a goood area to hunt if you like the backcountry. I never hunted it but would like to someday. Also did you see any wolves, and was your hunt guided, if so what outfitter did you go with.

Bigbull, what they don't know is ElKampMaster was hiding with his handy dandy improved 50 BMG from 3 miles away. Just kidding, I myself like bigger guns too, but a 7mm-08 works great if that is want you want to use.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

Bigbulls,
I get a kick out of the current magnum mania going around, I blame Craig (shoots a howitzer) Boddingon for all the nimrods running around with cannons. I was alway taught, its not what you hit them with, its where you hit them. My 7mm-08 will shoot quater size groups at 200 yards all day.

IEI,

2004, This was my second year out there hunting, my dads third. We have friends that live in Arco. They were supposed to go with us, but their potato farmers and the harvest was running late. They gave us all their camping equipment and his 2004 F250 Turbo Diesel, pointed out some areas to hunt and away we went, no guide, just two dumb PA dutchmen. One a little dumber than the other, since I got to pack both animals out. I didnt see any wolf sign. But the last time I was out there, I had one fallow me down the mountain as we packed my buddys elk out. I did see a big set of cat tracks. Saw quite a few deer but nothing I wanted to shoot. Both of these elk were shot up in back from an outfitters camp, in fact we were standing by cook tent asking the outfitter if we could hire them to pack my elk out and a herd of elk with at least one nice bull run right up behind camp. The outfitter never saw them, so we didnt say anything. In 6 days of hunting I saw over 40 elk and 4 of them were bulls. Heres some other pics so you guys get a feel for my bulls rack size, dad couldnt figure out how to work my digital camera. My racks upside down.
Heres a real meat wagon.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is just to cool that you did it on your own, not trying to take away from others that killed bulls on guided hunts. But to be successful on a to do it yourself hunt is just awesome, and rewarding. I too know several people from Arco, there is a big crew that hunts in one of my honey holes that all are from their. That doesn't surprize me on bit that they helped you out, thats how most of the people from Arco are like.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

Our friends out there are the very best, couldnt have asked for better people. A do it yourself hunt is just like icing on the cake. Very, very satisfying indeed. One of the smartest things I ever did was get in serious good shape, the first time we went out I didnt work out, man did I pay for it. When we packed my buddys elk out I thought I was going to die, of course it was 4.5 miles out.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations!!
Old 03-30-2005, 05:36 PM

nice shooting. a hard days work pays off. people are right when they say shot placement is the key.
Old 03-30-2005, 06:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

The X bullet in almost any rifle from 6.5 on up will take out both front shoulders on an elk even at extended ranges. Good job.
Old 03-30-2005, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Alright, way to geterdone, conditions look kinda rough, I'm glad some others have to earn it as well. Thanks for sharing as I am going through DT's. Saw a herd yesterday of about 60 down here in the valley as we are still getting snow here in the Rockies at the 4,000 ft elv.
Great pick and thanks for sharing buckaroo. Bobby

Quick Reply: Our Idaho Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.