HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Our Idaho Elk
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 07:40 AM
Buckshot
Typical Buck

Default RE: Our Idaho Elk

Bigbulls,
I get a kick out of the current magnum mania going around, I blame Craig (shoots a howitzer) Boddingon for all the nimrods running around with cannons. I was alway taught, its not what you hit them with, its where you hit them. My 7mm-08 will shoot quater size groups at 200 yards all day.

IEI,

2004, This was my second year out there hunting, my dads third. We have friends that live in Arco. They were supposed to go with us, but their potato farmers and the harvest was running late. They gave us all their camping equipment and his 2004 F250 Turbo Diesel, pointed out some areas to hunt and away we went, no guide, just two dumb PA dutchmen. One a little dumber than the other, since I got to pack both animals out. I didnt see any wolf sign. But the last time I was out there, I had one fallow me down the mountain as we packed my buddys elk out. I did see a big set of cat tracks. Saw quite a few deer but nothing I wanted to shoot. Both of these elk were shot up in back from an outfitters camp, in fact we were standing by cook tent asking the outfitter if we could hire them to pack my elk out and a herd of elk with at least one nice bull run right up behind camp. The outfitter never saw them, so we didnt say anything. In 6 days of hunting I saw over 40 elk and 4 of them were bulls. Heres some other pics so you guys get a feel for my bulls rack size, dad couldnt figure out how to work my digital camera. My racks upside down.
Heres a real meat wagon.