Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

getting bears in.

Old 06-29-2016, 02:33 PM
  #11  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 468
Default

Better be careful if there are wild hogs there. If you bait the next thing you know the landowner will have a hog problem
c-rad is offline  
Old 08-09-2016, 01:32 PM
  #12  
Typical Buck
 
RockyMtnGobblers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: colorado
Posts: 690
Default

When baiting was legal in Colorado a guide friend of mine baited with dead cows and molasses, worked great also anise oil is said to work great on a rag hanging in a tree. Good luck
RockyMtnGobblers is offline  
Old 08-10-2016, 09:28 AM
  #13  
Nontypical Buck
 
BarnesX.308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Audubon & Red Rock, Penna.
Posts: 4,472
Default

Does anyone ever use plain old corn? We are not allowed to bait anything in PA. But, bears sure love the backyard corn feeders that people have for viewing deer.
BarnesX.308 is offline  
Old 08-12-2016, 03:46 PM
  #14  
Spike
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 16
Default

I've had success using a varmint call to bring in bears - usually when I don't have a bear tag.... :-)
dorobuta is offline  
Old 08-12-2016, 04:48 PM
  #15  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308 View Post
Does anyone ever use plain old corn? We are not allowed to bait anything in PA. But, bears sure love the backyard corn feeders that people have for viewing deer.
Corn would certainly work. I had a 50 gallon drum on a tripod with a spin feeder on it set up behind my hunting cabin up in northern MI to keep does around to bring in the bucks when the rut was getting near, but I never hunted within a 1/2 mile of it. One day when I was up there to cut grass in late August I filled it with 300# of fresh corn and late that afternoon I looked out the window and there were three cubs that probably weighed around 40#. I watched them for a few minutes and then saw the sow come slinking in to check them out. Then she went back a ways and laid down as it was getting dark. The next morning I went out and she had either taken her nose or a front paw and pushed the feeder off center just enough to allow all the corn to fall on the ground and the only thing there was a dead coon. Those bears must have eaten all night and didn't like that coon getting in on the goodies. It looked like the sow had probably just smashed him into the ground with a front paw, as there was no blood around and it looked like she had just flattened him with a paw.
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 08-12-2016, 04:57 PM
  #16  
Dominant Buck
 
Champlain Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 21,361
Default

300 pounds in one night...wow. They do love their corn either on the kernel or the cob. They really make a mess and flatten a corn field once they find them.
Champlain Islander is offline  
Old 08-12-2016, 07:52 PM
  #17  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander View Post
300 pounds in one night...wow. They do love their corn either on the kernel or the cob. They really make a mess and flatten a corn field once they find them.
That was the last time I used a feeder up there, as I figured there was no way to keep a bear from doing that without extending the legs up another few feet to get it up higher. I decided it wasn't worth the hassle messing with it and I hope those bears had some belly aches after eating that much corn in one night!
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 08-13-2016, 04:12 AM
  #18  
Dominant Buck
 
Champlain Islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 21,361
Default

I know what happens when I eat too much corn...LOL
Champlain Islander is offline  
Old 08-15-2016, 03:34 PM
  #19  
Spike
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14
Default

For bait here in AK I use wet cobb grain. It has molasses and corn in it. Lots of vitamins and protein that bears crave. We use some sweet stuff like anise oil. And bacon grease works wonders too.
AKbouhunter is offline  
Old 08-15-2016, 03:35 PM
  #20  
Spike
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 14
Default

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006 View Post
Corn would certainly work. I had a 50 gallon drum on a tripod with a spin feeder on it set up behind my hunting cabin up in northern MI to keep does around to bring in the bucks when the rut was getting near, but I never hunted within a 1/2 mile of it. One day when I was up there to cut grass in late August I filled it with 300# of fresh corn and late that afternoon I looked out the window and there were three cubs that probably weighed around 40#. I watched them for a few minutes and then saw the sow come slinking in to check them out. Then she went back a ways and laid down as it was getting dark. The next morning I went out and she had either taken her nose or a front paw and pushed the feeder off center just enough to allow all the corn to fall on the ground and the only thing there was a dead coon. Those bears must have eaten all night and didn't like that coon getting in on the goodies. It looked like the sow had probably just smashed him into the ground with a front paw, as there was no blood around and it looked like she had just flattened him with a paw.
We had a sow and her 2 cubs clean out 100 lbs of dog food and other associated goodies in 1 night. When a bear finds a good food source they will not leave until it is gone. They may go just out of sight and continue to return until they can eat it all.
AKbouhunter is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Brknarrow1970
Bowhunting
18
10-05-2007 11:57 AM
Canuck_Buck
Politics
8
02-05-2007 10:36 AM
MikeE51848
Northeast
20
11-28-2003 07:23 AM
hairball
Northeast
9
11-13-2003 11:52 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Quick Reply: getting bears in.


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.