HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - getting bears in.
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2016, 02:35 PM
AKbouhunter
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Corn would certainly work. I had a 50 gallon drum on a tripod with a spin feeder on it set up behind my hunting cabin up in northern MI to keep does around to bring in the bucks when the rut was getting near, but I never hunted within a 1/2 mile of it. One day when I was up there to cut grass in late August I filled it with 300# of fresh corn and late that afternoon I looked out the window and there were three cubs that probably weighed around 40#. I watched them for a few minutes and then saw the sow come slinking in to check them out. Then she went back a ways and laid down as it was getting dark. The next morning I went out and she had either taken her nose or a front paw and pushed the feeder off center just enough to allow all the corn to fall on the ground and the only thing there was a dead coon. Those bears must have eaten all night and didn't like that coon getting in on the goodies. It looked like the sow had probably just smashed him into the ground with a front paw, as there was no blood around and it looked like she had just flattened him with a paw.
We had a sow and her 2 cubs clean out 100 lbs of dog food and other associated goodies in 1 night. When a bear finds a good food source they will not leave until it is gone. They may go just out of sight and continue to return until they can eat it all.