. It's going to be so cool we're taking the hourses up into the mountains, and I've always wanted to go. well now i'm going but I don't know much about it and I'm not much of..." />

Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 going huntin for some ELK!!!! >

going huntin for some ELK!!!!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

going huntin for some ELK!!!!

Old 01-18-2005, 07:59 PM

Default going huntin for some ELK!!!!

in 2006 for my graduation present, my dad and I are going elk hunting in colorado. It's going to be so cool we're taking the hourses up into the mountains, and I've always wanted to go. well now i'm going but I don't know much about it and I'm not much of a cow girl either - lamens terms: I'm not good at riding horses. I tried it a few times but got thrown off. stupid horse
Old 01-18-2005, 09:38 PM

Default RE: going huntin for some ELK!!!!

that is awesome. I am from Alamosa, CO. Born and raised there. We also raised horses so I have been around a few in my days and have spent many a day riding in the mountains. You better get those butt muscles into shape or you will be hurtin. There is nothing better then letting a good horse carry you into the Colorado Mountains.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:12 AM

You will have the time of your life.
I raise and train quarter horses and harvested an elk in Colorado in '04. Too much fun. I am so excited for you and your father.
My advice would be simple. Make sure you're as prepared as possible for the altitude and relax when you are on the horse. I'm sure they'll be really broke and well-trained pack horses. Be thankful you didn't have to pack your whole elk out on your back with your guide - whew- that was an awesome experience in itself.
Enjoy yourself and best of luck to you!

Kimberly
Old 01-19-2005, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

dewalts,

Check your pm. I am from Alamosa too.

cnhntr, Which part of CO will you hunt?
Old 01-19-2005, 09:40 PM

As a wrangler at a pack station once told me, pantyhose will reduce the friction between your lower legs, thighs, butt and the saddle. If an ol' man can wear 'em so can a young girl. [8D]
Spendin' a week at altitude is a wonderful thing to do for your body. Allows it to make enough red blood cells.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Slamfire you are 100% correct about the pantyhose I am not much of a horseman, being rather new to it, but my inlaws are. A few years ago we all went on a day ride scouting for elk in the summer. I wore some very loose jeans, man oh man I'll never make that mistake again. I promised myself from that day on that I will have hunting clothes and riding clothes with me on all hunts/scouting trips with horses. 300whinnie if you are reading this,,,, just stop laughing because you'll blow a snot on the monitor if you don't. I am sure you remember, how much pain I was in, like you would want to forget anyway. [8D]
Old 01-20-2005, 09:20 PM

dwalts~ I know when you are not used to ridding your butt gets so soor because your mustles are not used to it.[]

feddoc~ I'm not sure where we're hunting but i think about 80 miles from Baggs WY. For all of us who did not pay attention in 5th grade Geography class in the north west part of CO.

slam~ Great joke about the pantyhose but i'm not the most feminine gal most people know if you get my drift. just kidding I get your point. When I was antelope hunting in WY, I got very light headed because of the drastic elevation change.

thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-21-2005, 06:27 PM

Under Armour... This stuff is awesome. I wear it under everything when hunting.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:28 PM

Well I buy about a dozen pair of queen sized whenever I'm plannin' a horseback trip. I'm not talkin' about the sore muscles but the chaffin' you get from slippin' around in that old leather saddle that don't fit you.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:06 PM

http://www.underarmour.com/ua2/ua/gear.asp?dept%5Fid=4
Check this out. Unter armour will avoid the chaffing and keep you dry. I've used this stuff several years and havn't had to replace my origianls yet It is the most durable stuff on the market. I'm not a salesman I just am so impressed with the performance I stayed comfortable all day every day and that can mean the difference out in the field.

Quick Reply: going huntin for some ELK!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.