Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Your best drop them in their tracks gun? >

Your best drop them in their tracks gun?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Old 01-15-2005, 09:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Your best drop them in their tracks gun?

With the hunting seasons about done for this year, I was thinking tonight about past hunts and the guns I have used. Although shot placement accounts for most instant kills, some guns have done it more that others for me. How about you? I think its about a tossup between my 6.5x55 with 140 Grain Hornady inter locks and my 308's. For all big game animals of all sizes, these two rifles have furnished the more instant kills than any others. This would include my 30-06 and a basket full of Magnum rifles. Why would this be? I think I shoot those rifles better than others and both calibers are very dependable and I have confidence in them. This to me makes a rifle much better than it might show on paper and charts. Plus both rifles fire bullets that will penetrate to the vitals of most any game animal. I quess to me that makes them the best gun for the job.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your best drop them in their tracks gun?

Im going to have to say my ol trusty 12 guage using WOLF slugs, so far im 5 for 5 for dropping them in their tracks. Its a winchester 1300 pump, and man do i love that gun.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say it would be your weapon your holding when your standing over the dead animal that you just killed!
Old 01-16-2005, 05:26 PM

I'm thinkin' the 25mm chain gun mouted on a Bradley outa fit that descrtiption. That projectiles from the 30mm Vulcan on the wart hog don't expand fast enough.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

My choice is my Weatherby Mark V .340 Wby. Mag. with a 250 gr. Barnes XFB traveling at 3062 f/s 5204 ft/lb. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

I used to quide a hunter every year that carried a 340 Weatherby rifle. He usually did pretty well with it.
Old 01-17-2005, 04:33 AM
Matriarch Doe!

For deer I use my .243 and for elk my 30-06. I've never had an animal run more than 70 feet. I've used a shotgun for shorter shots, but I'm happy with my results for the longer ones.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:36 AM
DM

My choice is my Weatherby Mark V .340 Wby. Mag. with a 250 gr. Barnes XFB traveling at 3062 f/s 5204 ft/lb.
One time i was carrying a 340 Wby. with factory loaded Wby. ammo. (250 grain Noslers) I snuck up to about 35 years away from a moose, and fired a round into the only "really clear" shot i had, the chest! The moose just started to move off as i racked the bolt back, just to have it come out of the gun and it and my hand flew out into the air!!! BROKEN BOLT STOP!!! Damn!!!

I wasn't a "happy camper" as i fumbled around getting the bolt back in the rifle to take a second shot!!!!!!!!

The moose tasted good, but it sure didn't drop in it's tracks!! The Mark V didn't impress me much either!! The next 340 Wby. i built, was on a 700 Rem. action!!

I had a friend who was hunting in the mountains. He opened the bolt of his Wby. to be safe while he was climbing. (dumb!!) Anyway, later on when he got through the bad spot, he went to close his bolt, and NO BOLT!!! He never did find it either!!

Drilling Man
Old 01-17-2005, 08:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

The one that I had was a lemon from the word go. I know most people have had good luck with them. Mine had the best looking stock that I had ever seen. However thats where it ended.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:58 AM

i just got a .338 win mag. Can't wait to shoot it and see how it takes down some of the those big game animals.

Quick Reply: Your best drop them in their tracks gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.