HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Your best drop them in their tracks gun?
Old 01-17-2005, 08:36 AM
DM

Default RE: Your best drop them in their tracks gun?

My choice is my Weatherby Mark V .340 Wby. Mag. with a 250 gr. Barnes XFB traveling at 3062 f/s 5204 ft/lb.
One time i was carrying a 340 Wby. with factory loaded Wby. ammo. (250 grain Noslers) I snuck up to about 35 years away from a moose, and fired a round into the only "really clear" shot i had, the chest! The moose just started to move off as i racked the bolt back, just to have it come out of the gun and it and my hand flew out into the air!!! BROKEN BOLT STOP!!! Damn!!!

I wasn't a "happy camper" as i fumbled around getting the bolt back in the rifle to take a second shot!!!!!!!!

The moose tasted good, but it sure didn't drop in it's tracks!! The Mark V didn't impress me much either!! The next 340 Wby. i built, was on a 700 Rem. action!!

I had a friend who was hunting in the mountains. He opened the bolt of his Wby. to be safe while he was climbing. (dumb!!) Anyway, later on when he got through the bad spot, he went to close his bolt, and NO BOLT!!! He never did find it either!!

Drilling Man