Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

CALLING ALL ELK!!!

Old 01-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CALLING ALL ELK!!!

Robinhood, its kinda like hunting a ghost, how in the f@#% does something with 300 inches of mass go through the bush/thickets when little ole 5'-7", 135 #s of me struggle, and I am in good shape but sometimes I just have to back out.[:@]
I haven't left the mountain here in about a week, snows not too bad as it was 20-30 below f last week and now all the snow we had is starting to melt and the ice is bad. As you can tell I am kinda hibernating with the animals, I guess thats why I been on here more than usual. Thanks for asking, Bobby
Old 01-20-2005, 09:49 AM

i cant seem to use the mouth diaphrams, so i stick with a primos hyper hot single, and a wood wise hyper hot, between the two i sure can get them bulls riled up, and maybe one of these days i'll learn to use a darn bugle. lol
Old 01-23-2005, 08:22 AM

Bobby, I have often wondered the same thing, How in the (HE--) can a 800-1000lbs. of meat, muscle, and horns go thru trees and brush and in a few seconds just plain dissappear!!!
-20-30 below huh, If I were in your shoes I think I would be nestled up right by the fire with a nice bottle of brandy!!!

I just received elknuts videos, and I am going to try to get better at using the diaghram calls for making cow\calf sounds. I depended on the conventional calls so much that I just hav'nt put much effort in getting the right sounds to come out when using the diaghram calls, right now I sound like a dying bird or something, but i figure by fall, i will be ready. I have always used the diaghram calls just to bugle, but its nice to have the diaghram call ready to use, cause you never know when you may need to call to stop a bull elk, one advantage is that you are hands free and can be at full draw and can still call if needed.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Robinhood36, you made the comment if they toot they don't get the boot. I know that you mean it because you still let me ride in your pickup after I have been eating beans. Thanks.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:36 PM
Typical Buck

Personally, I think the choice of calls, and call quality is way overrated. Find a call/calls you're comfortable using and get confident with them. All that counts is confidence. You can sound like a rogue vacuum cleaner out there if you carry it off like you belong. You make elk suspicious with a call by being a) tentative and halting, and b) by sounding too perfect (i.e. like you're fresh from a calling contest).