Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bison Hunting Opponents

Old 01-06-2005, 09:09 AM

Default Bison Hunting Opponents

Anybody see this?

http://www.billingsgazette.com/index...-opponents.inc
Old 01-06-2005, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bison Hunting Opponents

I don't think that patagonia should be sticking their corporate noses in it---no more patagonia stuff for me--never sought it out anyway, but now I'll make sure never to support them and will pass the word to others.
hb
Old 01-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bass--turds,those kinda ppl get me all riled up.They don't live here,they don't work here,they don't raise kidds here,what right do they have to tell me how live in my own state under my governing officals.[:@]
Old 01-07-2005, 05:02 PM

Thanks for posting this! People need to know what company's are behind this kind of horse manure. I also will not buy their products because of this. I would love to hunt bison in the wild rather than buying it from a farmer. Not many tags being issued anyway so y should they stick there nose's in.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

Add another to the list of unfriendy's[:'(]

Bison hunt opponents seek license
By MIKE STARK
Of The Gazette Staff

More than 8,000 people have applied to hunt for bison that wander out of Yellowstone National Park this winter.

Some of those who applied, though, don't actually want to shoot.

Members and supporters of the Buffalo Field Campaign, a group that has advocated for protection of Yellowstone bison, have applied for some of the 10 tags. If their application is among those drawn in Friday's lottery, they have agreed not to fill the tag - and clothing company Patagonia has agreed to reimburse their application fee.

Buffalo Field Campaign's Mike Mease said 25 to 30 people in his office applied for a bison tag and other supporters of the organization may have done the same.

"Our e-mail list reaches over 10,000 people so it's hard to judge how many people were motivated to go out and purchase it," Mease said.

Last month, the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks Commission approved a bison hunt, allowing 10 animals to be killed between Jan. 15 and Feb. 15. The hunt will happen outside Yellowstone's borders in areas used by bison in the winter.

The bison hunt is the first in Montana since 1990.

About 3,500 applied for the last bison hunt. State officials expected more of the same this time around.

"We knew there was an awful lot of interest," said Ron Aasheim of Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

After the application deadline passed earlier this week, state officials counted about 8,200 applicants for the bison hunt, including 305 from out-of-state residents.

Aasheim said there's nothing to prevent anyone - including members of the Buffalo Field Campaign who won't use the license - from applying as long as they meet the basic requirements.

"If they choose not to use it, that's their prerogative," Aasheim said.

Mease said his group doesn't oppose hunting but said a bison hunt in Montana shouldn't happen until there's an established wild herd outside of the park, one that's managed not as livestock but as wildlife.

"It has to be done properly," said Mease, who added that his group probably will document the hunt and seek media attention.

Lisa Pike, director of Patagonia's environmental programs, said the company has supported the Buffalo Field Campaign through small grants and clothing donations since 1997.

Patagonia will reimburse the cost of the bison license - $75 for residents and $750 for non-residents - for anyone who is awarded a tag but doesn't use it, Pike said. The company has not taken a stance against hunting overall but objects to the bison hunt near Yellowstone because it won't be a "fair chase hunt or ethical," Pike said.

"It's not a real hunt in the true sense of the word," she said.

The hunt is not intended to cull the bison herd. Recent estimates indicate there are more than 4,000 bison in Yellowstone.

The bison have been at the center of controversy for years. Some are worried that bison that leave the park could spread brucellosis, a disease that can cause abortions and other problems, to neighboring cattle. Others dispute that claim and say bison should be allowed to migrate outside the park.