Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Which bullet for elk ???

Old 09-03-2002, 12:39 PM

Default RE: Which bullet for elk ???

The 180's are definitely the best choice. I have seen Winchester Fail Safe's do the trick quite nice. I also have seen the Nosler Partions do the deed in one shot, NO problem. I used to shoot a 7mag and two years ago shot a bull with 160Gr Nosler's. The bull literally was knocked off his feet at 100yds and was probably dead before he hit the ground. Just make sure you place your shot well and you should have no problems. I would sum it up and say use a premium bullet( Fail Safe, Nosler Partition, Barnes X, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Swift Scirocco, etc.)
Old 09-04-2002, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

BeaverJack thanks for the laugh, I like your attitude your my kind of folk.

As for the bullets I always use partitions on elk. I once accidentally grabbed the wrong box of shells once and took my BT's that I hunt deer with and killed a cow at about 75 yds. Did just fine buts that only time I've ever used one. I've heard some people have problems with them but never have seen it. One thing I have tried though is take a stack of phone books at shoot at em at different ranges, you'll see exactly what your bullet will do.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:59 AM

Jeez, Beaverjack. Did'nt mean to get you so riled! I certainly didn't intend to insult anyone's experience, and sincerely apologize if I did. Just stating that I have not experienced these problems that some people seem to have with BT's. ..and for the record, my good man. Yes. I have killed 3 elk in those four years. (11 total in my life) 2 cows and a modest 5X6. The bull caught one of those BT's square in the brisket at 90 yards and dropped like a piano fell on 'im. I'm not going to criticize anyone's choice of gear. We should probably all spend more time becoming better shots rather than agonizing over what kind of lead we're chunkin'. And what's all this stuff about shooting to incapacitate, Beav? Kinda seems like an unnecessary step to me. Why not just kill 'em on the first go-round? At any rate, I don't think I've ever been dressed-down in such a colorful manner. I bet you're a hoot around the campfire at night.
Old 09-06-2002, 07:46 PM
Typical Buck

Beans,
What kinda elk you shootin' son? The bulls I kill are heavy, tuff critters thet hold onto life like a wino holds onto his Wild Irish Rose. Sure, some drop quick. But I've seen elk run into the darkest, steepest country carryin' a bullet with 'im. I seen 'em have a busted spine an' still try to get up an run. I seen a cow run off with a leg shot right off, an' a bullet in the lungs too. An' all this crap 'bout slippin' a bullet here an' there is hog hooey. YOU AIM FOR THE SHOULDER 99% of the time. Bust up his wheels an' take out his lungs. Thets how grandaddy taught me to make meat, an' thets what I tell dudes. Huntin' ain't bench rest shootin'. Plannin' on makin' a MOA shot on a movin' animal under field conditions is the sure sign of a greenhorn.

BJ
Old 09-06-2002, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Beaverjack-I have killed all of my elk with lung shots.Some bullets hit the offside shoulder after passing through the lungs but my primary target in all cases was the lungs not the shoulder.I have never had to track an elk as they don't go far after their lungs are severely damaged.You may aim at the shoulder but many others shoot at the lungs and it is very effective.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:35 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-07-2002, 02:19 AM
Typical Buck

Moose,
We ain't here to dance partner. If you cain't disagree, be a pretty boring place, right? Rump slappin' an' suckin' up make fer a dead site.

Stubble,
Ain't nuthin' wrong with a lung shot. My point is thet the kill zone on an elk is yay big. No sense on whittlin' it down by aimin' fer the heart or neck or god ferbid the brain. Too much wind in the air an' too little in yer lungs mos' the time. I seen fellers totin' them Cabelas shootin' sticks cause they were afraid to shoot their rifle 'thout a rest. Noisiest contraptions on earth. I hate the term shot placement. Shot selection is my rule. You aim fer the center of the kill zone every time, takin' only the shots thet give a good chance of hittin' vitals. Aimin' fer the center of the kill zone gives you a margin fer error. Lots of factors will confound good shootin', but face it, most hunters ain't good shots 'thout the bags an' bench. Sure, there's always the occassional broadside, standing still, no wind, 50 yard shot off a improvised rest. Waitin' fer thet kind of opportunity means you ain't gettin' into yer share of elk. Forcin' a shot into a reduced target area don't always turn out well. Liver shot elk can run miles afor you find yer first blood sign. Puny bullets blown up on neck meat will do the same thing.

You boys gotta learn to shoot the sh!t 'thout gettin' offended. I ain't no charm school graduate. Don't care ifn' folks like me. Don't like mos' folks my own self. Gettin' yer feelins hurt cause some ol fart calls you a greenhorn ain't natural, at least fer men it ain't.

BJ
Old 09-07-2002, 12:43 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-07-2002, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Moose,
Whar you hang yer hat?

BJ
Old 09-07-2002, 08:50 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Which bullet for elk ???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.