Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Come Home To Papa!

Old 12-16-2004, 01:22 AM

Default Come Home To Papa!

Checked out the new Gander Mountain store. The wife and I wondered thru camping together, food and smokers, and then I "peeled off" to check out their gun section, and there it was....

A CZ 550 Safari Magnum in 458WinMag, used and cheap, and looking very sad and lonely, just pleading for a new master. Got them down a bit more on the price and now I've got her home and gently tucked away with the rest of the gang in the gun safe, right next to her CZ brother "Uncle Rigby."

She'll make a good winter project, have already contacted the gunsmith about converting her into a 458 Lott (just and easy ream job, no other modifications required). Then, add two internal cross bolts, two external cross bolts, glass bed, and lengthen the stock an inch and a quarter, touch up the trigger and I'll have my stopper.... I guess the heavy long range hunting rifle project (300 RUM, 338 RUM, 338-378) will have to wait.

I had been scanning the internet for one of these for 6 months and was ready to give up,
Time to start selling some of the "junk" stuff to pay for her, thank God for gunbroker.com!
I'm so happy.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Come Home To Papa!

EKM, I know the feeling. Just go my new elk dropper too. No modifications needed on mine. I can use the same arrows. Glad you got what you were looking for. Looks like both of our families are getting underwear and socks for x-mas eh? ELK- here we come.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:26 AM

Congratulations. Now you have an excuse to go to Africa and Alaska. You can't let your new gun just sit there and go to waste. That would not be frugal!
Old 12-16-2004, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the new rifle.
Are you sure you want to convert that rifle to a 458-Lott??? You do realize it will no longer be a Magnum.
EKM I must confess I was looking at a CZ-550 chambered in 416-Rigby with my wife two weeks ago. I was thinking it would make a fine elk rifle. I told my wife this. She smiled at me & said thats nice dear? I quickly responded with "hay at least its not a magnum". She laugh at me. She brought the subject up this morning & laughed at me again. I guess I should have never got her interested in guns? She knows too much about them for my own good.[]
Have fun with it & give us a range report.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:08 AM

Now you have an excuse to go to Africa and Alaska. You can't let your new gun just sit there and go to waste. That would not be frugal!
Great minds think alike!

Are you sure you want to convert that rifle to a 458-Lott??? You do realize it will no longer be a Magnum.
I know, it's tough, but I'm thinking I'll be able to get over it!

She brought the subject up this morning & laughed at me again.
I'm not privvy to the details of the conversation, but I would guess the fact that it that it stuck in her mind and she knows it "strikes you fancy" could be a good sign, perhaps she'll be laughing at you on Xmas morning as well! One can always hope!

If not, then consider the following. The romance and beauty of desitinations beyond Montana, Alaska perhaps a cruise up the inside passage (non-hunting) for a taste and an exposure to the Alaskan mystique. Then the planning of adventure into the interior, hunting, the two of you and the guide. The necessity of being able to defend the familial unit from the largest of potential threats. The need to be well versed in its use BEFORE going up there...... Hope your wife is your adventure mate like mine; if not, then while she does the cruise up the inside passage with a friend you do the hunt. And of course, you come back to your love because you did not venture into harms way without being "properly" prepared.

Carpe Diem and Good Luck!
Old 12-16-2004, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know what you mean. Those darn lonley sorry eyed guns have been following me home for many years. Somehow I can't leave them out in the cold. Be proud that you saved another poor homless rifle. We hunters seldom get the credit we deserve.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck with your new rifle!!
Old 12-17-2004, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a question.Can you not shoot 458 win mag out of a 458 Lott?

Congrates on your new love,days spent dreaming of far off places are what gets us through life.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:05 PM

Can you not shoot 458 win mag out of a 458 Lott?
Yes you can, which is one of its strong suits should one find himself in a land far far away and looking for ammo because the airline lost it or someone failed to pay the necessary bribe. BTW, there is a downside --- after 500 or a 1000 rounds of 458WinMag they say one will be picking up some throat erosion, of course most these kind of rifles go a lifetime without seeing that many rounds.

dreaming of far off places are what gets us through life.
What do you mean? I kinda figured it for my next elk rifle!
Old 12-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

A new rifle......................Mans other best friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Come Home To Papa!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.