Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

what to hunt

Old 12-14-2004, 05:54 PM

Default what to hunt

hello i am new this is my first post i'm am 14 and i have already shot one whitetail deer but i was looking for something different like bear ect. so i was wondering if you guys could help me decide what to do i hunt with a 280 remington semi automatic so please reply and help me
Old 12-14-2004, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: what to hunt

Stick with whitetails for a while longer. Then have your Dad take you on an antelope hunt---WY is always a good choice. Then maybe an elk hunt. Black bear is another good hunt. Your 280 is an excellant caliber for anything in the lower 48. Good luck.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:27 PM

thank you for the tip i always wanted to hunt for antolpe when i got oldetr i also have a mini 14 would that be better for antolpe???
Old 12-14-2004, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like seeing any caliber smaller than a .243 used for any big game. Yes we can debate if deer and antelope are or are not big game. But for this thread we will consider them big game. Anyway I know some people like to use 22 calibers (.223, 22-250 and the new 223 WSSM) for hunting deer where it is legal. But I think they are playing with fire and will be looking for wounded animals. Yes they might kill them on a regular basis but sooner or later they will flub a shot just enough to wound a deer. Its just my honest opinion but there are reasons that some states have a caliber limit! I'am sure I will take heat for this, but the 22 calibers are made for varmits and only varmits! I agree the .280 is great for any game in the lower 48, stick with it and get to know the gun well and it won't dissapoint you.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with the pronghorn antelope recommendation. Since shots may be moderately long on antelope, use an accurate rifle and cartridge combination. The mini-14 may not qualify on the accuracy issue. Also, I agree .243 ought to be a minimum for pronghorn antelope (though I'm not disparaging .243 for antelope or suggesting it is marginal -- it is very suitable in my opinion), and if the mini-14 (I don't know much about this -- is it a .22 caliber?) is lighter, than this is another count against it for antelope. The .280, on the other hand, is entirely adequate in terms of power and is reputed to be accurate.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

i also have a mini 14 would that be better for antolpe???
NO. Your Mini 14 is not even legal to hunt with in Wyoming.
Your 280 is perfect for whitetail, mule deer, antelope & black bear.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:40 AM

bigbass - where are you from? I agree - stay with deer, but for the next thing I'd look at what's close. If you are in the west then an antelope hunt at some point is a lot easier than if you are in the east. Keep in mind that traveling to hunt is just plain expensive.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:05 PM

sadly i am from western wisconsin but i can go to minnesota or iowa because they are close and my first year hunting i dropped a whitetail one shot with a mini 14 and someone i know nailed one at 200 yards and it dropped
Old 12-15-2004, 03:21 PM

ok ok lets get back to the subject please no more squabling over gun calibers ok here's the question what animal's would be good practice for a mule deer or big horn hunt like what would be first before that and what is easier of the animals for a newbe besides the antolope ok and travleing for a hunt is no problem but what out of the sections are cheapest but traveling is not a option thank you

thank you for the help