Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Elk Hunting with the kids! >

Elk Hunting with the kids!

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Elk Hunting with the kids!

Old 12-06-2004, 09:42 AM

Default Elk Hunting with the kids!

I am going to take my kids elk hunting and I am looking for advice from folks whom have done this before. My boys are 12 and 14 and shoot 30-06 and 300WSM. I shoot a 300 RUM and we spend a lot of time at the range. They have deer hunted before. I am looking at a hunt to include the following:
- Drop/spike camp with tent, stove, firewood, cot with cushion and food
- 1 guide for the group, which we don’t mind sharing the tent with. Doesn’t have to be the most experienced, just know the land and game patterns
- 4-5 full days of hunting
- I am open to most dates during the season. I would be willing to wait until 06 or 07 for the best time of year and location.
- If there were a cow season, this would be considered.

My thought is one of my sons would hunt with a guide (the 13 yr. old) and I would hunt with the other. I have hunted elk before and I consider myself a knowledgeable hunter with many years of big game experience. We are all in excellent shape, even me at 41.

My desire is to achieve an experience that is challenging both physically and mentally yet have good opportunity. Not looking for a trophy, just a few bulls or a cow would do fine. I’ve had enough of the lodges with their comfy beds and generous portions of hot food. Before my sons get too preoccupied with women and other modern day distractions and I get to old, I wanted to do some bonding.

So the question are:
- What locations, states, outfitters etc… would be recommended considering the above requirements. I’ve been looking at WY, MT, ID and CO. Found many outfitters on google
- What hunt is most desired early season or late season?
- What general questions should I ask the outfitter?
- Are there any specific questions I should ask considering the boys?
- Do I have to worry about CDW in CO and WY?

I am in no big rush, so I can go the lottery route or wait for the best time to go and take the trip in a few years. I am obviously an out-of-stater from NC. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunting with the kids!

I think that's a great idea sir! I too took my kids hunting when they were younger. I had 2 boys and 2 girls. One of the girls, the youngest. never took to it, but that's ok. I never pushed or prodded them to hunt, but I did do it in such away that I felt it would be enjoyable for them. I think at first it was I who benefited most. My oldest son now 25, is still my best friend and life long hunting partner. The others have gotten away from it some. --My point is this is a great way to get to know each other better and to bond!

I'd like to say that in their younger years we did some rifle hunting for both deer & elk, and had a great time, we really did! But in 1991 we took up bowhunting for elk & deer. We focused most of our energies toward the elk because of the awesome challenge it presented. Talk about bonding!!! Until you do it you have no idea the happiness and sense of satisfaction you'll recieve.

From a parent who's hunted both ways, you should seriously consider bowhunting elk during the "Rut" The excitement level even for new hunters is uncomparable to walking through the woods hoping you'll see something with a rifle in hand. When you and your boys hear your first bugle, especially one that answers one of your boys, well all I can say, is it's priceless! Whether or not you harvest an elk doesn't matter, but you'll be talking about it for weeks or months to come, I kid you not.

I'd leave an outfitter out of the picture for the simple reason you've got elk experience! The three of you would have a great time forming strategys & methods where three would work out great. You could learn a few important elk calls together, in other words the bonding could start now, and at the same time build assurance and confidence in all your calling adventures. Believe me you guys wouldn't be able to wait for opening day so you could hear your first real bull bugling together. Too now is a great time to start practicing with bows as to ready yourself for the up-coming season, you still have plenty of time.---My son took his first elk at 13yrs old with a bow, and yours can do it too!

I really feel you'll get more out of a hunt like this where you've all put in previous time & effort to ready yourselves for the hunt. This way you're together enjoying each others company and encouraging each other without the use of an outfitter. (lot less money)

If you are to consider this avenue, let us know! There are many qualified bowhunters on this site that can offer excellent tips and advice to ready yourselves. This is very due-able!! ElkNut1
Old 12-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually beleive that one can be even more successful on elk when hunting with a bow. Nothing beats a bugling bull, and the fact that they are usually more prdictible this time of year makes it even better. Let us know what you decide to do. We can sure help.
Elknut, It sure is hard to get you started talking about elk isn't it?.....LOL
Old 12-06-2004, 11:46 PM

I took my seven year old bear hunting this year. Just put a stand up in the tree, spread honey all over the boy, tied him to the tree and waited. He didn't seem to have fun, can't understand it.....
Old 12-06-2004, 11:48 PM

Kaboovy man, those must be some big kids or else they just dont mind recoil. I wish i could have shot calibers like that at their age
Old 12-07-2004, 08:18 AM
Typical Buck

ElkCrazy8---You got me there!! I do have a tendency to rattle on when the word ELK is mentioned!! It's a disease!! Just ask HickChik & Idahoelkinstructor?? ---ElkNut1
Old 12-07-2004, 09:15 AM
Typical Buck

Elknut1 what makes you think you rattle on, have you seen my posts? Let me add my two cents, there is nothing that can compare with the Rocky Mountains in Sept. Nice days, screaming elk, changing trees, perfect for kids and dads alike. And with a little work shooting a bow is a real possible for you and your kids. And if I can call in an elk anybody can!
Gselkhunter
Old 12-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Elknut, Isn't this a great sickness??? I hope I am never well again.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I took my seven year old bear hunting this year. Just put a stand up in the tree, spread honey all over the boy, tied him to the tree and waited. He didn't seem to have fun, can't understand it.....
ROFLMAO!!!
Old 12-08-2004, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kaboovy man First off Welcome to the board.
I live in Montana, I too am addicted to elk hunting like others are on this board.
I think an elk hunt with your boys is a great idea. You three will remember the hunt for the rest of your lives. Take tons of pictures.
If I were in your same shoes? I would look at a drop camp in Colorado. I would call the department of wildlife & ask them what part of the state has the most elk. Then ask about access & CWD. The CWD is not that big of a deal. They will test the brain of your animal & tell you if the animal has it or not.
You can do a search for outfitters on the Colorado Board of Outfitters & Guides website.

Good Luck,

WK

Quick Reply: Elk Hunting with the kids!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.