HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk Hunting with the kids!
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2004, 07:32 PM
elknut1
Typical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunting with the kids!

I think that's a great idea sir! I too took my kids hunting when they were younger. I had 2 boys and 2 girls. One of the girls, the youngest. never took to it, but that's ok. I never pushed or prodded them to hunt, but I did do it in such away that I felt it would be enjoyable for them. I think at first it was I who benefited most. My oldest son now 25, is still my best friend and life long hunting partner. The others have gotten away from it some. --My point is this is a great way to get to know each other better and to bond!

I'd like to say that in their younger years we did some rifle hunting for both deer & elk, and had a great time, we really did! But in 1991 we took up bowhunting for elk & deer. We focused most of our energies toward the elk because of the awesome challenge it presented. Talk about bonding!!! Until you do it you have no idea the happiness and sense of satisfaction you'll recieve.

From a parent who's hunted both ways, you should seriously consider bowhunting elk during the "Rut" The excitement level even for new hunters is uncomparable to walking through the woods hoping you'll see something with a rifle in hand. When you and your boys hear your first bugle, especially one that answers one of your boys, well all I can say, is it's priceless! Whether or not you harvest an elk doesn't matter, but you'll be talking about it for weeks or months to come, I kid you not.

I'd leave an outfitter out of the picture for the simple reason you've got elk experience! The three of you would have a great time forming strategys & methods where three would work out great. You could learn a few important elk calls together, in other words the bonding could start now, and at the same time build assurance and confidence in all your calling adventures. Believe me you guys wouldn't be able to wait for opening day so you could hear your first real bull bugling together. Too now is a great time to start practicing with bows as to ready yourself for the up-coming season, you still have plenty of time.---My son took his first elk at 13yrs old with a bow, and yours can do it too!

I really feel you'll get more out of a hunt like this where you've all put in previous time & effort to ready yourselves for the hunt. This way you're together enjoying each others company and encouraging each other without the use of an outfitter. (lot less money)

If you are to consider this avenue, let us know! There are many qualified bowhunters on this site that can offer excellent tips and advice to ready yourselves. This is very due-able!! ElkNut1