Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Moose huntin' Lets talk

Old 12-05-2004, 09:49 PM

Default Moose huntin' Lets talk

Who's moose hunting in Alaska in 2005? I am. Put in for a draw to a good area. Anyone else?
Old 12-06-2004, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Moose huntin' Lets talk

My sister and brother in law live outside of Willow, and I'm planning on heading up there next year to do some moose hunting/salmon fishing in August. Generally most of the area gets quite a bit of pressure, but my brother-in -law has private access to an area that is virtually impossible to reach any other way, and they see a lot of moose there. I was in Alaska last July and loved it, I think it would be a great place to live. Unfortunately my wife just thinks it's a great place to visit.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:24 PM

Eyesore,

You must be doing Koyukuk moose? I hear they cut way back on licenses. I plan on taking my jet boat on a Yukon River hunt in 2005 and use my fly-in for sheep.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:13 PM

Whats the drive time from Montana to Alaska? Or just from NW States to Alaska? Is it possible to camp out of camper for moose?
Old 12-06-2004, 10:48 PM

Muley,

The drive to the Alcan is going to take you about four days, and that is pushing it. Getting firearms through Canada is no longer easy, and if you screw up the paperwork, you just donated your gun to the Canadian government. Getting your meat back through Canada will also require permits.

As for camping areas, sure there are areas you can drive and camp, but so can everyone else. As a general rule, the further you get from the road, the better your chances. Hunting Alaska is NOT like the lower 48 where you can drive some forest roads find a decent ridge etc and hunt. There is just not that great of access.

By the time you spend the time, money, etc., you would probably be better off just flying up here and doing it yourself with an air taxi, a moose hunt wiil average cost about $3000 but you can do it much, much, much cheaper if you know who to fly with.
Old 12-06-2004, 10:59 PM

Money is always an issue but not the main issue. I don't like to fly from one point to the next because it ruins my sense of place. I love being out on the highway, however, I don't care to deal with the Canadian government. Your probably right, maybe I could drive up then fly in. That drive up there must be one of the best drives anywhere. I'll go to the Alaska website and check out some info. I have all but given up on ever getting a tag here in Montana. If you have a draw systems is there anyplace to get the statistical odds on the draw? Thanks for your help.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:55 PM

Muley, If you dont want to loose your temper i dont suggest you make the trip through are beutifull country. Bringing firearms across the border is tough at the best of times.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:06 AM

AlaskaMagnum,

Yep, Koyukuk. Very few permits this upcoming year. Way down from prior years.
I dont have my "plan b" quite figured out in case I dont draw, but will be somewhere. Any ideas?

To those of you worried about border crossing with guns-I did not have any problems this year. The paperwork you fill out prior to crossing is very staightforward. The downside is the $50 can fee ($38 U.S.) Still dont want to do it? Mail them to any post office in AK marked "general delivery"
Old 12-07-2004, 07:56 PM
Typical Buck

Muley
Hey if your interested in Alaska shoot me an email. I am headed up with the wife to Anchorage maybe mid September. We will be driving up and taking the 5th Wheel and have plenty of room for another or couple. You can save big bucks by driving up and not having to have your meat shipped. I will be taking a huge chest freezer and just plugging it into the 5th wheel for the ride home.
The plan is to get to Anchorage and leave the wife behind to explore town. I am planning a Deluxe drop camp hunt(Fully Stocked Camp) for Caribou or Moose. I will be flying out of Anchorage. 7 to 10 days. From what I have seen it looks like about $2500-$3500, but like I said I still am in the planning stage. I have a few other friends who might be interested and could really lower the price.
I have several options and services looking into this already for me.
www.worldwide-hunts.com He is out of Wyoming and is seriously looking into it. Check out his site.
As far as the firearms thing in Canada it's a snap and cost ya $40 US. The meat, just need an FDA form and is no problem. I drove to BC and took a Moose this year. Spent about a half hour at the border with no problem. US requires a certificate of origination to bring your firearm back to the US.( Must be done before entering Canada) It's free and takes about 5 minutes to fill out the form at the US side of the border.
If you had something else in mind you could at least hitch a ride up and back to save you on some funds.
Bob
Old 12-07-2004, 08:33 PM

Eyesore,

Yeah, I do have an alternative you may be interested in. I plan on doing the Yukon, and since you plan on doing the Koyukuk if you draw, that means you have a river boat also. So here is something to chew on. I would feel much better taking two boats down the Yukon just in case something happens. Ideally three or four guys with two boats between them. A lot of guys just basically "road hunt" the Yukon, cruising the river hoping to slop into a moose, I want to get into an area and actually hunt it. I want to go later in the year when the bulls are rutting. Sound interesting?

Quick Reply: Moose huntin' Lets talk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.