Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 1st time elk hunt, where do I start? >

1st time elk hunt, where do I start?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

1st time elk hunt, where do I start?

Old 12-05-2004, 11:45 AM

Default RE: 1st time elk hunt, where do I start?

hey sorry for the delay. Thanks for all the great input. I would like to bow hunt but that my reguire more time and experience then i have. As with any hunt being the the forest is half the fun. But i would hate to drive or fly from michigan, pay all the expenses and come home empty handed. I will have to do some home work and deciede. My first thought was to just drive to an elk state having a tag and hunt the public lands. Thanks for all the info.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:04 PM

As with any hunt being the the forest is half the fun. But i would hate to drive or fly from michigan, pay all the expenses and come home empty handed.
Doing it yourself, unless you "get in" with a group that knows the ropes, involves a high probability of "coming up empty"; therefore, I would recommend you use an outfitter. Yes, the cost will run "high" (but they aren't exactly getting rich) and you will find getting ready for a properly prepared "do it yourself elk hunt" is not cheap either.

Get an "either sex" tag if you can.

EKM
Old 12-11-2004, 12:40 PM

We have a place we go for special cow elk w/ pretty good draw odds(80% or so), there is an older Phillipino gentleman at work who has asked me to take him along, and my son is old enough now also, one more wouldnt be a problem, let me know if your interested.
Old 12-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

szap,

I've been trying to go Elk hunting for years, so I think I understand where you're coming from. Myself and a friend hunted mule deer last year on a private ranch in Co. We had planned on an Elk hunt this year but couldn't make it. I've been told by many on this forun that my chances are about 1% if doing it unguided and it being the first time. I've have had to buy several ink cartridges just to print the info I've been gathering so that I'll be ready. I plan on going in 2005 with my son, son-in-law, and a buddy, we know our chances are slim (do it yourself hunt), but that's not the point, we're going and that is all that matters to us.

I also know I'll never get in the proper shape or know the area like folks that have easy access to the land each year, but as I said, I'm going.

Only advice I can give you is listen to these folks and set your goals. There was one gentlemen that I sent an email to, who lives in Co. and he was gracious enough to tell me which Unit he hunts in and even offered to meet us and give us all the info he can. Can't beat that with a stick. Some good people on here. I believe someone answered you by saying you could go with him, what more could you ask for.

Good Luck,
dog1
Old 12-17-2004, 09:16 AM

szap,
One thought would be to do a drop camp through an outfitter in a location that has local elk (so you are not worrying about a migration). Will probably give you one of the best opportunities for the money (relatively inexpensive). Remember most states are draw/lottery now, which makes it sometime difficult to plan a hunt for sure. Colorado still has over the counter tags, and possibly Idaho, but I believe every other state is draw (someone can correct me there if they know for sure...I know Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, are all draw).

I would say Rifle is definately the way to start. Get a feel for the country and the way elk behave before trying the bow (unless you are going fully guided). The national average to kill an elk is roughly 18-20% every year with a rifle, something like 3-5% I believe with a bow (that's why I always get a kick out of the people that get an elk every year and everyone on the internet shot a 300 point 6x6...but anyway).

Elk hunting is better than it has ever been, but it is still elk hunting. It is tough to explain exactly what that means though until you experience it for yourself.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 338shooter

(someone can correct me there if they know for sure...I know Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, are all draw).

Utah has both tags available on a draw system and over-the-counter tags for elk. If you want to hunt trophy bull units or a cow you must draw. But if you want to hunt the general units you can with an over-the-counter tag but I wouldn't recommend an over-the-counter to someone who isn't very fimiliar with those areas.

I'd say start putting in for draws all over AFTER you have done some research on each states website. Look for things like hunt success rates, odds at drawing a tag in a particualar area, and what each area is managed for. A drop camp is a great idea for a first timer not wanting a full-blown guided hunt. If you really want to do it all on your own and you just want the experience I wouldn't plan on going after a trophy bull. You had an offer to tag along, that would be a great way to start. If you don't do that then get either a cow tag or an either sex tag and shoot the first legal animal you see. Good luck!
Old 12-19-2004, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

szap

I too was in your shoes 10 years ago we just did our homework and headed west Co. over the counter is your best bet the first time if you plan to doit yourself bowhunt.

Its not that bad of a drive and if you can find some good guys it will be pretty cheap and I push you to do it yourself cause what you will learn on your own is priceless.

This wont be a one year thing if you are any kind of outdoors men youll get hooked and have to go every year thats the best thing cause you will get to understand the place you hunt and where the elk live ,feed ,sleep and water.

Start right now geting into shape it makes the bigest diffrence of all we being flat landers have a rough go of it you cant kill elk if you cant get to where there at.

Plan for two weeks at least you cant get any hunting done in one .

If you are realy seriuos about going PM me and I will point you to some good spots and point you to where to camp and hunt over the counter tags.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

dog1

It sounds like you have the drive to go and become a good elk hunter same goes for you PM me I can fill in alot of the blanks
Old 12-19-2004, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

IDAHO is basically a draw state for non-residents, BUT, since the wolf intro. the tags haven't sold out for years now. Which means it's basically an OTC state these days. Yes you can walk right in to any vendor and purchase tags or get them through the mail from ID Fish&Game. This of course applies to non-draw areas, which is most the state. ElkNut1
Old 12-21-2004, 12:26 PM

get in shape!! You'll never forgive yourself if you spot a big bruiser and cant make the stalk to get at him. Then get a proper elk rifle, 7mag or 30-06 are the two smallest that nearly everyone agrees are true elk rifles. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 1st time elk hunt, where do I start?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.