Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 My big game hunting over for season--thanks >

My big game hunting over for season--thanks

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

My big game hunting over for season--thanks

Old 11-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My big game hunting over for season--thanks

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who offered advice to me as a first time elk hunter and western transplant especially Barebackjack, elknut1, oldelkhunter, ekm, and iron ranger and anybody else. Overall I guess you would have to say that I had a successful season--I took my first antelope and mule deer buck--but the elk eluding me overshadows the rest in my mind. I am still grateful though. I can not wait to go after them next year. If given the opportunity I will put forth the effort to become ever more proficient at hunting those suckers--just seeing those bulls was a great milestone in my hunting career which started with squirrels and rabbits in the eastern hardwoods over 25 years ago. My finances and family obligations preclude any further pursuit this year (season ends Sunday). The only thing left is I am flying back to WV to visit family and hopefully get to chase whitetails with the ol' boys back there. Thanks again. good luck to all
HB

I'll post the pictures of me and the other critters over the holidays--sorry I'm still learning those technological intracasies
Old 11-23-2004, 03:07 PM

Default RE: My big game hunting over for season--thanks

hb,

Thanks for the feedback! Welcome to the west and I am happy for the success you did have. I went with 3 empty seasons in a row before I got one on my fourth. In an odd sort of way you learn a lot about elk hunting when you hunt the whole season and don't get one --- mostly learn about the things NOT to do, which IS valuable. Then after you get your first one, the chips start falling in line and you hone the things TO do and between the two you are "off to the races." It was cool of BareBackJack to help get you on to the "fast track" --- hopefully next year is the year!

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 11-23-2004, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

HB,
Thanks for inviting me on your hunt,new country,great camp and food and fun I will be up for it again next year.

It's tough at the end of the season to walk away after you see the bigg'uns
I wish you the best of luck in WV and the flight down and keep in touch.

BBJ
Old 11-23-2004, 08:13 PM

Yes, hillbill, thanks for the invite as well. Elk have changed my plans, as they so often do. The pursuit will continue but I am starting to lose faith this year. I haven't seen any elk in my last three trips out.[&o] Every year I try to get out of the valley and hunt somewhere else, but this year has escaped me. I may do a late season pheasant hunt in the midwest with freinds but even that is looking doubtful. Thanks for posting your hunts, I always looked foward to reading them. In my book you had a sucessful year in the field so congrats. Remember, the success rate in Montana on elk is arouind 20%, that leaves 80% with tag soup.
Old 11-28-2004, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

hillbillyhunter1 sorry you didn't get your elk, but it sounds like your hooked for life and off to a good start. If you are persistant and try to learn everything about elk and elk hunting, and if you hunt with all your heart and soul, well the pieces will fall in place. If you do this, I would be willing to bet it will happen faster that you think. After awhile you will look back and laugh at the mistakes you made during your learning years.

EKM I like your analogy of a beginning elk hunter! It doesn't matter if you move into elk country or lived there all your life. When starting out everyone has to go through the ropes of learning what to do and not what to do. IMHO most people can be taught what to do or not to do. But for it to really sink in they need to experience it for themself. It's then and only then that they will say to themself "now I know why john doe told me to do it this way"
Old 11-28-2004, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Idahoelkinstructor,
You are right--I am hooked--when I looked at an elk thru the binocs or spotting scope--I thought to myself "self, it seems like it would be impossible for a critter that big to be this elusive"-- but then I looked up and got the full view of the country he was in and thought " no it doesn't"
anyway--I had a lot of fun and the elk I saw and the mistakes I made ARE GOING TO HAUNT ME FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE. I'll stay in touch here and by next year I'm gonna try to become proficient at calling and go bow hunt those suckers--that's my goal. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions--maybe I can even get together w/some of you guys sometime between now and next year. GOOD LUCK
HB--Chad
Old 11-28-2004, 11:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

hillbillyhunter1 do stay in touch and bowhunting is the most exciting way to hunt them. I have archery hunted them for a lot of years and with a lot of successs I might add. One thing you might consider when starting out with archery hunting, is find out if there are any units that you can archery hunt any elk early season and if you don't get anything go back and hunt for a late season gun, or blackpowder cow hunt for meat.
Thanks Jason aka idahoelkinstructior
Old 12-01-2004, 06:51 PM

congrats on your first western hunt I always feel that if I get a good view and opportunity to get your animal it a sucess, wether you get an animal or not.