Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Ethics!

Old 11-23-2004, 09:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default Ethics!

We as hunters are going to face the bashing of the anti-hunting community again because of the action taken in Wisconsin. Because of someones lack of respect we as a group will be taged as killers again. I ask that all of the hunters out there put your best foot forward. I like to hunt and don't wish to lose it. The anti-gun people have more to work with now. I my not hunt big game with a rifle, but I believe all hunters should have their choice of how they hunt. And I like my shotguns and my bird hunting too. If we do stupid things that make us look bad, we could lose our sport/ lifestile forever. I don't want my children to not be able to hunt. Please think.
Gselkhunter
Old 11-23-2004, 11:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ethics!

I really don't mean to sound like a real jerk but I think it still needs to be said anyway because this is the reality of the situation. What is going to save us in this situation is the fact that this guy is an immigrant to the US. I have nothing against immigrants and not all of them are bad. However this situation would be a lot worse if this was a guy born and raised in the US. At least that's the general consensus around here.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

My fear is the nut won't be blamed, the gun will. You and I both know that gun didn't pull it's own trigger. But by the time the press gets done with this, every gun in the world will be to blame. And the anti's are just waiting for the door to open.
Gselkhunter
Old 11-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

From the reports I have seen or read, it appears this person had an assault rifle loaded with a 20 shot clip and only stopped shooting when the clip was empty. The notion here is this was really a PREMEDITATED act of murder, even though the man was dressed in blaze feel(this guys was only playing the part to further or underline his sick plan). Again just a thought shared between a group of rational hunters who sat in disbelief anybody would dream of doing such a thing and call themselves a sportsman!!!

It is an aweful occurance and one that will no doubt cast bad light on our sport, I truly hope people see this as a circumstance that had little to do with hunting but rather state of mind (lack there of actually) of the individual who committed this horrible crime.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:21 PM

Well, Skeeter since you brought it up, this story is a little wierd to me. Primarily, why was this guy in a stand hunting deer with an SKS and twenty round clip? Add that he is an immigrant and something isn't right here. Was this guy a plant? I'm not big on conspiracy talk but it seems a little strange. How does one go from hunting deer, to murdering 6 people, in terms of thought process? I just can't help but speculate that he went out there with the intent to kill somebody.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Its a good idea to put our best foot forward as hunters. It matters not if you hunt the wilds of Alaska for Grizzly or the swaps of the south for waterfowl. When we dress like hunters and are out and about during hunting season, open a door for someone, give somebody the right of way,be the kind of person that you want to see hunters portrayed as. The example we set may someday make the difference. Show everyone that hunters are good folks. I make a point of doing just that.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

apparently there are not too many vietnam vets on this subject so let me enlighten you just a little. the Mongs were a tribe located in laos, cambodia and thailand. they were recruited by the CIA and special forces during the vietnam war. proud people and great fighters. at the end of the war, the US sold them out. just turned their backs and walked away, knowing that they would be hunted down and eliminated. the groups that did make it to the US we bought here because of pressure bought on by a bunch of special forces personnel against the government. the one involved in this case was probably 12 or 14 at the time and had seen more crap in his life then we could ever hope to not see. so in a sense, they are not immigrants, they were relocated in several areas with the united states.
now on to the real subject of the shooting. unfortunatly there are few witnesses to what really happened in the beginning of all of this, but i am willing to bet that threats were made, names were called, etc etc. hell, we have all done or said it when someone messes with out areas or steals some of our equipment. then the calvary arrives on four wheelers, i would be scared too, but would probably run instead of shoot. the shooter was leaving the area after he got out of the stand, something made him turn back around again? anyways, i am in no way condoning what he did, and i guess what started it all will never come out. as far as him being in the woods with a 20 round clip, i am not sure what the law is in that area, but if you go to any shooting range, you will see plenty of them being used. those are the type of guys you are out there with these days.
Not trying to offend or defend anyone here. just wanted to add my thoughts.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I ask that all of the hunters out there put your best foot forward. I like to hunt and don't wish to lose it.
I couldn't agree more. It's sad when 1 group is blamed for the mistakes of a few. Please listen, folks. Hunting is a privledge, and we could lose that privledge being in the minority. Be careful.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:33 AM

Army Intelligence planted a freind of mine with a Hmong tribe for a year. His job was to buy enemy weapons. Every weapon was a dead VC. He had to become a tribe member by dancing around a huge monkey tied to a wood chair with it's skull removed and eating parts of it's brain while it was screaming. Great hunters of man and beast and a primitive people. This guy came from another world. He was supposedly run off from the area the week before so I am betting on revenge and murder of the coldest sort. What we did in Nam ain't no excuse and he needs to get the max. Who cares if the owners taunted him with racial slurs, that is not a capitol crime. When I lived in Seattle a bunch of Cambodians settled there and ate every illegal fish, crab and dog they could catch. Here I have an employee who poached two deer and got caught but that is OK in Mexico. Point is that it takes a couple of generations to adjust to a new culture and this incident has nothing to do with hunting or gun laws. It is murder and immigration pure and simple.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is always to sides to a story.
This man had had a bad experiance(sp) with the owners of the land,and that a lone is a catalyst in it's self,pride,anger and resentment are dangerous emotions.
What he did is wrong,native or immigrant.The gun will get the blame,and he will get the time or penalty.

It is not unheard of hear in Montana to have a gun pulled on you over a squable over a animal.There have been shootings and even brawls over elk and who shot it and who is claiming it.
Just last year I had a gentleman from Wash. try and claim my elk that I shot.He was conviced he had hit it.It came down to a very heated argument between my Brother-in-law and this hunter,down to the point they were going into a very bad direction.
I could have gotten into the matter,I kept a cool head and calmed them down,I even offered 1/2 the animal to him,or the horns or both.I just wanted the meat,not a fight.
After looking at the animal and the bullet wounds to it he finaly back down.
He was shooting a 243 and I was shooting a 300 WSM at over 350+yards and the one bullet was recoverd from the chest cavity and it was not a .243 slug.
I later saw the man at the bar and he appolgized for his actions and bought me a beer and we all had a laugh about it.

But me not knowing this man he could have lost it and shot us or waited in the trail latter on.
So we all should becarful.
BBJ

Quick Reply: Ethics!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.