Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Leaking canvas

Old 11-10-2004, 06:10 AM

Default Leaking canvas

We had a good hunt in Wyoming this year(4 for 5) but the last two days camp was hell. Wet snow came and our tent leaked like crazy. This is the third trip for the custom cavas and it hadn't seen snow before. One of the guys in camp said we should have of put clear plastic on top of it. Is that what most of you guys do here or should I waterproof it with somthing?
Old 11-10-2004, 06:35 AM

Default RE: Leaking canvas

pmm,

Two things,

1. We always use a heavy fly on top of the wall tent, it protects against embers, reduces UV deterioration of the canvas, and it is warmer.

2. This seems unlikely but with a new wall tent I set them up in the back yard and hose them down inside and out and then let it dry. A new tent will actually have holes where the needle and thread went thru and it needs to be "wetted" once to cause the canvas to shrink back in around the thread to make it waterproof --- was this ever done (if not, I guess it is now with the snow). New wall tents can leak unless prepped. Also a rough rule is if the canvas is wet don't touch it, where you touch it can drip. When the wet snow settled on your tent did you try to "shake" it off by pushing up from the inside (a no no unless you have a fly) or did you go outside and drag it down off with a broom?

I recommend a fly to protect your investment and keep you warmer.

EKM
Old 11-10-2004, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

We always put a (water proof?) tarp over are wall tents. We also setup are tents during the middle of summer & apply a good dose of canvac. We buy a tarp that is a little larger than the tent so the whole tent is covered. You need to cut out a hole for your stovepipe, then you are ready for rain or snow.
I would call or email your tent manufacture & ask them what they recommend for a water proof treatment? I have been told that some tents do not require canvac? I was told canvac can even ruin a Davis tent???
Old 11-10-2004, 05:55 PM
jjt

as wolf killer posted it is common practice to cover your tents here with a tarp
it does 2 things the first is to stop water
the second is to help shed the heavy wet october snow
as a whole i would suggest both the watter proofing and the tarp better to be extra prepared than not

Old 11-10-2004, 06:04 PM

"ANY tent is a better tent when it is under a tarp!"

--- EKM
Old 11-21-2004, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the replies, guys! I will heed your advise and waterproof it and put a tarp on it.