Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

? For Wolf killer

Old 11-09-2004, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default ? For Wolf killer

First off congrats on the elk and deer kills. I have not seen any picks but if you can post them please do. Also tell your wife congrats on her bow killed deer. I myself have not spent much time on the form, but I saw back in Sept. that your wife got her first buck with a bow. Sorry I didn't have time to post then, but tell her congrats for me, thats awesome. Anyway to my question? I am wondering how the wolf populatin is over in your area. Unfortunatly they are stronger than ever in my area. My wife's elk hunt didn't go as planed. And I can't totaly blame the wolves for comming home empty handed on her hunt, because she missed a 6x6 bull. But the elk acted very strange and spooky, more spooked than I can ever remember. They seemed even afraid to call, and I can't blaim them. One afternoon when I was trying to call and locate a bull, the wolves started to howl back and come my way. I only saw one wolf at 1000 or so yards away. But from all the noise they were making I know it was a pack of them. After talking to the the local F&G officer he told me "That out of the 35 hunters that had tags for the area. All saw or heard wolves, some saw elk and passed on shots of bulls. Some like my wife missed there elk, and a few did get there bull. But for the hunters that had previous knowledge of area, and have hunted the area before (like my wife and I) that they were very concerned/worried and disappointed in the lack of elk that were actually seen/there. This hunt is a trophy draw early hunt, and in the past there have been some huge bulls killed in this unit. In 1997 my wife and a friend drew out on it (my wife has all the luck). Anyway I called in a very big bull for my friend, that after the 60 day drying period scored 371 B&C. This year though, the biggest bull that I saw in my area only would score around 320 or so. But then I only saw 3 six point bulls, a far cry from the quality it used to be. Well enough self pitty about my area, what if anything can we do as hunters to stop the wolves from destroying our elk hunting. Sorry about the book, thanks, Idahoelkinstructor.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: ? For Wolf killer

what if anything can we do as hunters to stop the wolves from destroying our elk hunting.
The only thing we can do is get them de-listed. IMHO large predators such as Wolves, cougar & bears are a "bunny huggers" best friend. Anti-hunter know they can use large predators as a tool to end hunting as we know it.
I won't tell you to shoot a wolf in the guts so it will run off & die. A pack of woves will not allow a member of there pack to be weak or sick. If one becomes weak or sick they kill it. If a wolf is killed by another wolf, no law has been broken, it just mother nature taking its course.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:46 AM

IMHO, there is nothing one can do but bend over, thank the govt, and ask may I have another. Petting zoo construction is in process.

EKM
Old 11-11-2004, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

I did my bit to help the moose and elk out in western Alberta the other day.

I was meditating at the edge of a cutblock and saw a wolf trotting in the block. When I got my pants up and grabbed my gun but could not get a shot. I climbed up on a fallen tree and moved into position in its upturned roots. Then I saw a black wolf run off and a white-tail flashing as a deer ran off with a wolf following. So I got a deer call out of my pocket (eastman's deer talk) and gave a few fawn distress squeels. Two grey wolves came running at me. I hit the far one with my first shot then swung and dumped the close one on her nose at about 40 yards. The I turned back to the far one and cranked the leveraction and pored the lead at him as he tryed to make the bush. I got him again on my last shot. Glad I was packing my Savage 99 in .300 savage.

Two less wolves out there eating moose elk and deer.

Robin
Old 11-12-2004, 10:38 AM

Duffy,

Good Job! Warms my heart!

Of course Alberta is where our brain trust down here in the states imported "our" wolves from. You guys up there know what to do with them. Down here in Disneyland, it is a federal offense.

America's petting/watching/listening zoo ("in tune" to a whole new cadre of Americans, PAMB's).... work in progress.... coming soon to elk country near you!

EKM