Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Role Call: Elk Hunters

Old 11-08-2004, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Role Call: Elk Hunters

This year it was a 5X5. Last year a 3X3, those are my bulls. I am a cow killer since 1990, I have let the young bulls walk until the last two years, knees aren't what they used to be. The big ones don't want to play. Being a weekend hunter time is a factor I don't have in my favor. So I take steak when in range. I have not had to buy beef in a long time, I like that. I have killed an elk all but two years since the first one in 90. All taken with a bow and all in CO.
Gselkhunter
Old 11-08-2004, 09:33 AM

Popere,

Yeah, EKM i just love beeing in the mountains. This was the first year that we camped in a Davis Tent. I will never stay in a hotel during elk season again. The tent was definately the way to go.
For me the hunting/killing is practically secondary; I also just love being in the mountains, setting up camp, camp life (hence my handle), packing out the meat and butchering in camp. For three years and part way into the fourth, THAT was what kept me coming back to try again --- plus the fact some of my camp mates were taking some elk during that time --- we all got totally skunked one year.
==================

Wolfkiller,
I figured you had been busy out "getting after" things given your stories from last year, you are a busy man --- good to see you come up for air.
==================

In general,
Some amazing bowhunting harvesting numbers. That is some high performance hunting. Not my style, but I can't deny the skill required. I haven't seen elknut1 and his son so far, but they would obviously fall in this group.
==================

Tally so far,

1 = Went elk hunting --- no opportunities (I think there are WAY more out there, just haven't signed in....)
2 = Went elk hunting, got a shot opportunity, no elk... (Any given year an opportunity is really all one can hope for.)
14 = Got elk (at least one, some with many)
-----
17 = Total

EKM
Old 11-08-2004, 09:50 AM
Spike

Went 1st time this yr. to Colorado. 5 elk for 9 guys- 2 bulls 3cows...
only saw 1 on the hoof - bull too small to shoot...go again in a minute, absolutely
gorgeous area.....
Old 11-08-2004, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

EKM, the sorting out phase is hard. I used to get the gitters real bad when the bulls would come in. it took a few years of tag soup to figure out what not to do. I found that the 50 yard pin would not work at 20 yards. I found out not to crap where you are hunting. And if you do, keep your bow handy because you might literaly get caught with your pants down. Smoking does not fit in with elk hunting. Not only because of the smell, but also the lung capacity proplem. Copenhagen is a nice trade off for the smokes if you don't mind arguing with your dentist. And if you decide to chew , make sure you don't swallow it and take a good look at breakfast after you finally do get that first bull down.(like I did)Don't fall asleep right after a calling episode, you might wake up to a bull in front of you while you are laying down.Rangfinders for me are a must. Confidence in the shot helps. 18 straight days in elkcamp could land you in the hospital. And never go elk hunting 1 week after kidney surgery and on disability. It may keep you down even longer, especially after packing one out(Mom would have killed me). With all kidding aside. I wouldn't trade any of those moments for the world. The payout is tremendous. To look back at the obstacles that you have overcome, be it with bow or rifle, and to acheive what you did. Be it cow, calf, raghorn, or bruiser is just mind boggling. I was born the day before elk season. I don't think that I was ready to miss my first chance at opening day...Great job to all that went and enjoyed chasing one of the (IMO) best animals there is to chase. This is one hunt that you will get out of it what you put into it.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Went hunting with HillBilly hunter 3 days,saw 2 Big Bulls and a some cows and some spikes,limeted draw area,(HB had the either sex tag),so I was deer hunting.
Saw 1 bull Friday,cows only area.Shot 1 nice mulie buck.
Hunted all day saturday all we saw were deer,Sunday the same.
Heading out next week,got to gets some elk meat,running low.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:20 PM
Typical Buck

I hunted elk this year but I had no shot opportunity. Due to my situation at home I only spent 2 days in the field and they were only half-hearted days at that. It will be the first time in 5 years I haven't had elk meat in the freezer.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Went elk hunting and did not see a thing to shoot at....got a deer though! Been elk hunting since I was 12.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

11 day's in the woods = passing on 2 5x5's, a spike, butt load of cows.
Doesn't look like were in for a big snow to drive the biguns down, so horn hunting is stopping this weekend and were lookin fer meat and then concentrate on the Whitetail rut.[]
Old 11-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

went the last three years took elk each year could not go this year due to hurt shoulder will be back next year though already planning
Old 11-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

Went to Co. for my 1st elk hunt this Sept. muzzleloader hunt I took a nice 5x5 and my partner scored a 6x5.I'm addicted now and there will be more elk hunt in the future,God and my wife willing

Quick Reply: Role Call: Elk Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.