Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Role Call: Elk Hunters

Old 11-07-2004, 09:31 PM

Default RE: Role Call: Elk Hunters

Elkcrazy8,
Whoa, that is some serious hunting production. Yes, cutting your own is rewarding to a point and then it becomes w-o-r-k in spades!

Tally so far,

0 = Went elk hunting --- no opportunities....
1 = Went elk hunting, got a shot opportunity, but no elk....
8 = Got elk (at least one, some with many)
-----
9 = Total

EKM
Old 11-07-2004, 09:46 PM

Been out several times this year, have logged many hours in the field, even more hiking in the dark. I have several bruises, lost 8lbs since bow season started in september, my wife is getting sick of it, I've seen hundreds of elk, had opportunities and passed, had opportunities and blown it, have become desparate, pissed, disgusted, tired, thrilled, excited, suicidal, and I love every joyess, rotten, thrilling, pathetic moment of it. I have taken a ridiculas amount of time off work and will probably never make it up. The more I fail the more consumed I become, I have even had a couple of dreams about elk and the horrible thing is, they even get away in my dreams! I've run into bear, mountain lion, and been run off by a bull moose. Is there anything but elk huntin? Two more weeks of this and I'll been broke, divorced and half nuts, but if I get my elk, it will all be worth it. I love this sport.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:27 PM
Typical Buck

I went the 1st season here in Colorado. I got a nice 5x5 with the ole reliable 30/06 with 180 grain bullets.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

This year I went and was again schooled but did come back with a young bull. Our crew ended up going 4 for 5 bulls. It was my 11th elk hunt and my 8th elk harvested.
Old 11-07-2004, 11:26 PM
jjt

ill chime in for another in the #3 category i shot a nice 5x5 this year and posted the pic in my 04 season not to bad i tried to think back at how many i elk i have harvested but i never did get an accurate count i just kept rembering this hunt and that hunt and how great they were 10+ or -
Old 11-07-2004, 11:54 PM

Went out Oct 25 with an Eastern Washington, Peaches Ridge Any Bull tag and on the 27th at 5pm I tagged a 7x9 non typical. Biggest Damn Elk I ever seen! If someone can tell me how to shrink the pics, I'll post one. they are all about 550 kb
Old 11-08-2004, 07:06 AM

This was my second year elk hunting in CO unit 444. This was also my second year of tag soup. We did have a very nice camp though. Saw lots of sign but no animals. At least the pheasants in Nebraska were nice to us this weekend.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:32 AM

Popere,

Finally, someone who admitted they've went a couple times and struck out! Personally I got my first elk the 4th year I went --- we definitely did things on the "learn the hard way" plan. Often it is just as important to learn what "not to do" than it is to know "what to do", might sound odd but I bet you know just what I mean. I'm betting there are quite a few people in the first and second categories and folks in category three that spent some time in one and two before sorting out the puzzle and finally getting one.

Tally so far,

1 = Went elk hunting --- no opportunities....
2 = Went elk hunting, got a shot opportunity, but no elk....
12 = Got elk (at least one, some with many)
-----
15 = Total

EKM
Old 11-08-2004, 08:07 AM

Yeah, EKM i just love beeing in the mountains. This was the first year that we camped in a Davis Tent. I will never stay in a hotel during elk season again. The tent was definately the way to go. We hunted every way that we knew how to and just could not catch up with the elk. It seemed like they were always ahead of us.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been elk hunting since September 4th. I killed a raghorn 4x5 bull (11/7) yesterday morning. Some of that time was spent deer & antelope hunting. Everyone needs a break from hard core elk hunting. The most elk hunting I can handle is 5-days in a row, then I need a day of rest.
This year I have killed 1-elk, 3-deer & 3-antelope. I still have 3-deer tags left to fill. One deer tag is my buck tag. I may not fill the rest of my deer tags? I have plenty of meat & I have been giving most of the deer away.

good luck to all,

WK

Quick Reply: Role Call: Elk Hunters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.