Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Digital Cameras For Hunting >

Digital Cameras For Hunting

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Digital Cameras For Hunting

Old 10-31-2004, 12:18 AM

Default Digital Cameras For Hunting

Here is what we use for "digital" cameras. Especially since websites limit quality and since I consider lots of people shooting pictures more likely to "capture" an event than just one with a high end camera we do the following....

Out of the camp proceeds I buy everyone who goes a disposable camera. 27 shots. It is there duty to shoot them all. Every year I get great pix and some of situations I only heard about.... now I get to see it!

We just use a flatbed scanner and PhotoShop to make them digital. The beauty is you can carry these "beatable" cameras in your vest pocket along with ammo and other stuff that would eat up a nice camera alive. A camera does no good in your pack or in a zippered pocket IMHO.

EKM
Old 10-31-2004, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Digital Cameras For Hunting

Thats about all I carry also. No need for anything else really!! I didn't get a deer this year, so there are still a few left on mine, which will get filled throught the winter. Actually, I just put the camera in the glove box of my new Jeep Liberty in case I run into something interesting while out in the field!
Old 11-03-2004, 09:33 PM

Most digital cameras cannot be used below 32 degrees. The screens freeze and break. Feel free to ask me how I know this.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe thats why my mom's digital camera wouldn't work after I borrowed it last January to go ice fishing
Old 11-04-2004, 06:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

I never was one for taking pictures. I really regret it now. Countless dozens of hunting trips and I think I have a grand total of of two hunting pictuires. One of a very big bear and one good Elk. Fishing pictures I have albums full of. My Uncle has a lot of pictures of our hunts. I should get busy and get some prints from him while we are both still around. Good hunting
Old 11-05-2004, 01:39 PM

Do you need a scanner? I know I can take 35mm film to places like Costco and they have an option to put them on a dvd instead of printing pictures. I have a photo printer so I can print what I want and keep the digital copies forever. Can places do the same with disposable cameras?
Old 11-05-2004, 05:41 PM

We just use a flat bed HP scanner. Used to be a high ticket item ---- dirt cheap now.

EKM
Old 11-06-2004, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

I use a digital camera. This year took my video camera too. Always been one to "baby" my toys. No more. I don't dip them in the lake, but I use them now and if something goes bad, I will get another one. Few years ago I was sitting in a ground blind with my video camera, and I really took great care with that piece of equipment, when a nice 10pt buck came within 20 yards of where I sat!! I couldn't breath I was so excited. Just knew he was going to smell/see me he was so close. Cold crisp morning. Sun was just peeking over the trees. Gorgeous. He never spooked. I had several minutes of great video. Same morning had a turkery circle the cedar tree I was under and gobbled within 10 feet of me. Didn't get him on film.....Too close to even blink........but at one time I could have stuck my foot out and tripped him as he pranced around!!! Got back home and couldn't watch any of it!!! Head had gone bad and the recording was not viewable. I had spent each season only taking the camera on easy hunts, no rainy days, only to have it break down anyway. Lesson learned. Now, I get something .......I use it. Use it for what it is intended for.

My digital camera worked fine this year and a couple mornings the temperature was between 15 and 20 degrees. Fingers to operate it was my biggest problem.

I will say that I learned from experience that you can cause your batteries to malfunction in cold weather. My video camera tells you how much battery life you have by way of a meter. It hasn't worked since my first time using it sitting up in a cold tripod. Sony says that cold temperatures damage the batteries ability to talk to the camera. Still works, just have to mentally gauge how much time is left.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a digital camera also. I can carry it in my jacket if it is too cold out. I have manufactured a way to hook it up to my spotting scope and take pictures with it also. I can take pictures of animals way out there.