Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

More What?

Old 10-23-2004, 07:46 AM

Default More What?

Website has slowed down....
Record numbers of users....
Must acquire more bandwidth to accomodate overwhelming demand....

Oh, really.... so where are all these "hunters"?

Must all be over in the "DeerHunting" section, or
The "Bowhunting" section, because they sure aren't here in BigGameHunting.

Certainly there have been a handful of quality reports from some of our veterans, yet here we are, in the midst of the season when activity and interest should be a near a peak and this is it???? More interesting to go back a year a read the posts from a year ago than puruse this rather bare, rather inactive cabinet....

BigGameHunting, apparently....
The proud,
The few,
And getting fewer!

Perhaps this area of "the map" is just about "hunted out"....

EKM
Old 10-25-2004, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: More What?

EKM.....
we are still settling in after our second year trying for the great Elk. 3 of our 9 hunters were sucessful this year. Not bad for a bunch of out-of-state, flatlander campers!!! My brothers 5x5 alone was enough for us to know that we are going to need to re-think our camping process. Didn't spend enough time thinking about what we were going to do if we got one!!! All worked out though. Weather was nice and warm early and turned snowy, beautiful and cold late. We loved it.
We are still voting on whether to "Kick the bums out" of camp that ruined our camping trip though! Peer pressure was overwhelming. No lollygagging around camp as one of the guys killed a bull on opening day!!! Rest of us was forced to hunt from that point on. Peer pressure is an ugly side of hunting.

I have loads of camp pictures (some are acceptable for all audiences) and a couple of the elk. Will post now that things are getting back to normal. Realizing that we don't really know what we are doing, that we are not hunting in a "trophy" area of the state and that we are probably making one mistake on top of another..........

My Gawwwddddd we sure had some fun!!!!
Website does appear slow.

We figure one of our bulls, we aren't much on guessing elk weight but we do have plenty of experience guessing "on the hoof" with beef, weighed around 1100 pounds. He was a healthy feller but didn't have hardly any fat on him at all! Felt more like he weighed 11,000 pounds trying to get his fur coat off of him!!!

Stoves worked great. Vented them like you suggested and will show pictures of them too. Kept our three tents toasty!
Freed up the propane for the cookstove and our latest addition..........2footX3foot propane griddle. Came out of an old restaurant. Thing weighed an enormous amount.........but we cooked 2lbs of bacon, 2lbs or sausage on it at one time!!! Sweet deal. Guys figure that me and it weigh about the same......don't have to tell you boys which one of us is getting left behind once weight becomes a factor!!!!
Old 10-25-2004, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never hunted elk before, only have moose in my neighborhood and very few of them crack the 1000lb mark. Didn't realize an elk could get that big!!!
Old 10-25-2004, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

A 5-point bull 1100 pounds, that's pretty hard to believe!!!! Not saying it's impossible, but that just ain't normal!! <grin> Here's a picture of a good sized 5-point I took this year with a bow, he only went about 700# on the hoof.--- Other than that congrats on your hunt!! ElkNut1

Old 10-25-2004, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry guys for not posting earlier but tyme is limited like everyone esles but I know , no excuse. I saw some nice bulls while bowhunting and had herds of elk and bulls around my truck at night during the full moon and they would keep me up all night long bugling and snorting and I was so close you could actually hear the snot running out of their nose. Come daylight many of the herds would swim across the Missiouri and go back and forth. Saw some nice class bulls but couldn't pull any out due to them being bumped so much and there reluntant about to answering to any call. I never hunted in a spot that had so many people and what I'm going to do is just spend the rest of the season hunting here on the mountain side.
Elknut, BITE ME. Nice going.
Good luck rest this season guys. Bobby
Old 10-25-2004, 09:50 PM
Typical Buck

121553---OUCH!!

Good Luck with the rest of your season! What happened with "The Threat" did you get a chance to use it??

EKM---We need more controversy!! <grin> ElkNut1
Old 10-25-2004, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

elknut1 that is a nice bull. I am wondering are you sponsored by primos calls? And have you ever compeated in a calling contest?
Old 10-25-2004, 10:27 PM
Typical Buck

idahoelkinstructor----No, I am not sposored by Primos. Have had several folks to try and have Primos put me on as a Pro Staffer but I'm sure I would turn it down! I've had other Game Call companies ask me that very question but have turned them down so far!

No, I've never competed in a calling competition, except with the elk! <grin> I've won some and I've lost some, if you know what I mean.

I do use Primos calls as I feel they have great sound, especially the Ivory Plate single for cow calls of every sort.

By the way congrats on a pair of fine animals. How did your wife do this year? ElkNut1-Paul
Old 10-25-2004, 11:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think lots of folks are still gone hunting. Many of us have not started yet. Our first deer hunt is still a week away. The next deer hunt is three weeks yet. Muzzle loader Deer and Elk is mid December and the last muzzle loader elk and deer is in Jan. The waiting is getting tough. We are doing mostly muzzle loader hunting this year. Just two weeks of rifle. I got two fifty caliber smoke poles cleaned and ready. One is a T/C inline 50. The other is a T/C side lock express rifle in 50 cal. May still get a whack at a Muzzle loader cow moose. Good hunting to those still at it.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate to say it, but I am done hunting big game for the season. My mule deer season was October 2nd - 22nd. Unfortunately, the only thing I got out of it was tag soup. I did see plenty of deer, but nothing ever worked out to get a shot. Oh well, thats what happens when you put man against nature, nature almost always wins. Still not too bad, 4 deer on 6 tags in 7 years in Nevada. Its tough hunting, and though I did not harvest an animal, I still feel it was a successful season. I got to see some beautiful country, and just about every doe I saw had twin fawns. Very few only had one fawn, which means the deer herd should make it through the winter in good shape, as long as it is not extremely hard, because the winter range is still in good shape also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.