Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Score! 6x8 For Our Colorado Elk Hunt! >

Score! 6x8 For Our Colorado Elk Hunt!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Score! 6x8 For Our Colorado Elk Hunt!

Old 10-20-2004, 08:00 PM

Default Score! 6x8 For Our Colorado Elk Hunt!

Just got back several days ago from a two week stint in NW Colorado for the first rifle (elk only) season (Oct 9-13). 6x8? Eight hunters took 6 elk and our 13 year old lady from California got her elk! She was on top of the world, and that part was quite rewarding.

We used a larger and heated spike camp this year about 4 miles back in in addition to the Hilton like base camp set up by the forest service road. The spike camp put us right in the thick of the action. We were up by 330 a.m. and out by 430 a.m. The elk were in full rut during this early season high power rifle hunt – bulls bugling everywhere. It was a lot of fun listening to them while waiting for red eastern skies and the sunrise.

This year we had our "picket line" well spaced out and strategically placed. Once pressured, the herd bolted straight for our positions. Their hooves made a sound of thunder akin to that of a rumbling freight train. Direct frontal assault, aye? If y'all insist! We had 4 elk down in minutes and two more in a couple hours as the busted up herd kept bouncing around in disarray. Since it was going to be a warm day and since the elk were laying on a south facing slope in scattered quakies we suspended further "harvesting operations" and focused on field dressing (thank God for the Alaskan method), moving meat into the shade, and then started packing the meat to spike camp.

We used three horses with panniers and got all six packed out to the main camp the following day! Though we had plenty more elk licenses we decided our "tribe" had all the meat we needed and so we set about butchering them in camp and got all six wrapped and sharp frozen in a single day. We went back in and packed out the spike camp to the main camp and loaded up the next day after dividing the frozen meat amongst our group.

Personally, I took on the lead cow --- one of the biggest I've ever seen; she yielded more meat than a 5x5 bull that was taken. Gave her a "little shot of Rigby" and she stacked up in a crash. My son and I each had a secondary "either sex" tags (read bull tag) unused in our pockets, but since our group had done so well and harvesting more elk seemed unethical; we passed on any further shots including an opportunity on a group of bulls that went by while we were field dressing what we had. Nice to have choices.

As usual, there were some high points and some low points. Interesting stories. Lots of fun. Good comeraderie. Wonderful easy weather. Mother nature at her best.... very nice.
================================================== ===

[Just a thought…. having a herd of Cape Buffalo “charging” through ones position instead of a herd of elk would have to be a wee bit more "interesting." A little more "character exploration and definition" would be more likely to take place in a situation when the quarry can fight back instead of ALWAYS having to flee. Don’t get too hung up on it, it is just a thought.]

EKM
Old 10-20-2004, 08:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Score! 6x8 For Our Colorado Elk Hunt!

Sounds like you had a great hunt. IMO ---give me a cow anytime for eatin. But those horns sure are nice to look at. If your bulls were like mine--there's not an ounce of fat on him. Plus he was still in rut. Next year--I'll probably pop a dry cow.
Got to love hunting those crossing !!
Old 10-20-2004, 08:34 PM

Congrats ELKampMaster! I am taking my father up near the Craig/Hayden area for the 3rd season. I hope we have the same success. Can't wait!!
Old 10-21-2004, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

That was good ,sounded like fun
Old 10-21-2004, 11:52 AM

ColoradoBob,

Actually field dressing the 5x5 was a real treat. As I "zipped" him down the back to get the back straps out it was one of the thickest and most wonderful hides I had ever seen, long hair and a thick luscious undercoat. Once on the inside this boy was full of fat, a heavy layer over the backstraps and then fat worked in everywhere I went. They were in the rut, but I don't think this "boy" was in the action.

Luckyone,

I hope you are true to your namesake.... I also hope you and your father will be hunting on private land, as further up into Routt National Forest I think by the time of your arrival that the elk will have already been given ample notice that the "party is over" and it's time to scatter and hide and go nocturnal --- I'd expect that would be some hard hunting on public ground barring some sort of migration starting up. I wish you good luck on it, but that is my "take" on the deal ---- I hope I am wrong.

Cardeer,

I'm afraid that it is truly fun after the passage of some time. What it is, is tons and tons of work with a few "interesting" moments worked in. Now I can look back on it and it is starting to be remembered as "fun". Upon returning home I saw I had lost 14 pounds --- that is a pretty fair arse kicking IMHO.

EKM
Old 10-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like a great trip and lots of good winter meals. We have not even started yet as we have all late season hunts this year. Here is hoping you get your thundering herd of Buff's someday. I Think! That may be one of those be careful what you hope for deals Anyway, good hunt.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

the 2 6x6's we took on our muzzleloader hunt where both really fat...
Old 10-25-2004, 09:25 PM
jjt

ELKampMaster

congrats on the hunt i like the idea of not filling tags just to fill them as i have done the same this year and in years past