Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

1st caribou hunt

Old 10-08-2004, 10:53 AM

Default 1st caribou hunt

hello to all. I'm brand new to this forum hope I can get reassurance. I have just booked my very first caribou hunt with Jack Hume Adventures. It will take place the last week of august 05. While I have been on several guide big game hunts in the past and fully understand how things can go wrong. Can anyone else out there give me there thoughts or experiences with this outfitter. I have talked to several references and they had some good experiences.
Thanks In Advance.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 1st caribou hunt

Cool laudy, I'm booked w/JHA for my first (& only) caribou hunt a couple of weeks after yours, Sept 9-15th, '05! I did a bunch of research on different 'bou outfitters before I made up my mind, so I feel fairly confident in my choice. But I've been dreaming of a 'bou hunt for 20 yrs, so any reassurances would be welcome here too

I hope you leave a couple nice bulls out there on the tundra for me!

Best luck to ya!!
Old 10-08-2004, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never hunted with them but I lived in Quebec for 20 years and Jack Hume has been around for a long time and has a good reputation. Don't worry, enjoy your hunt.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:34 AM

Since you have already booked your hunt, isn't it a little late to be asking about the outfitter?
Old 10-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Laudy....I've hunted caribou in Alaska, NWT and Quebec and have kicked around the hunting forums and talked to many hunters over the last few years... Hunting caribou can be a crapshoot..Sometimes you hit 'em big, sometimes you don't, as in any other type of hunting..

However, I think that Jack Hume's operation is as close to a sure thing as you are going to get in a Quebec hunt... As a previous poster said, he has been around 20 years and maintained a good reputation, so he's no fly-by-nighter... As important as that or maybe more so, is the fact that he maintians a lot of camps AND has his own airplanes, so that makes it easy for him to move around to where the caribou are... He is well established and well organized..

Two of my buddies went with Hume the first week of September this year and they both tagged out on nice bulls, as did everybody else in camp.. I think you made a good choice and here's hoping you have a good hunt...Caribou hunting is lots of fun and to my palate, the meat is the best big game meat I have tried.... I prefer it to elk and moose.....I wish I could afford to go every year
Old 10-09-2004, 07:18 PM

I just got back from a caribou hunt with Norpaq. We were talking to quite a few hunters that had been hunting with Jack Hume and they all did well. When we met a rep. from Norpaq at the Schefferville airport, There was a good looking blonde standing at the end of the room and I asked him about her and he said it was Jack Humes wife..Thats when I told him that I was booking with J.H.A. next time!
We had a great hunt with Norpaq and I personally would re-book with them.
Good Luck and have fun!!!
Old 10-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

I believe that JHA is a second generation outfit. Started by Mr. Jack Hume some 30 yrs ago, Richard Hume (Jacks son) is overseeing the operation these days.
Old 10-09-2004, 08:10 PM

What does something like this cost - soup to nuts? I'm very interested but haven't used an outfitter for a hunting trip - just trophy fishing (pike) in northern Canada.
Old 10-10-2004, 04:39 AM
Typical Buck

Package prices can vary quite a bit from one outfitter to another. JHA has 4 different plans to choose from. Here's their website:

http://www.jackhumeadventures.com/home.html