Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Caribou hunt ???'s

Old 12-19-2007, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default Caribou hunt ???'s

Hey all a friend of mine and myself are thinking of doing a bou hunt in a couple years and neither of us have NO idea where to start.. Just wondering if anyone has any info that may be helpful, like where to go, what species of caribou to go for and how do you get your meat back and how much does it cost... We have both been interested for years in this hunt and now are starting to get serious about it... Any help would be appreciated... Like I say neither of us has a clue where to start... Thanks all..
Pyclub1
Old 12-20-2007, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Caribou hunt ???'s

I've hunted caribou in Alaska, Northwest Territories, and Quebec and had good and not so good hunts in all three places...

For a first time hunt, I would recommend booking with a reputable outfitter in Quebec..No hunt is a sure thing, but your odds are probably the best of having a successful hunt and a quality wilderness experience there..

I've used Jack Hume Adventures www.jackhumeadventures.com and would highly recommend them..I've also heard lots of good things about Tuttilick ( sp.?) but have never hunted with them... Hume is honest and very well organized, has lots of camps to move hunters around to, and has the personnel and the resources ( airplanes) to do it... I'm booked to hunt with Hume again next September...

Old 12-20-2007, 09:45 AM
Dominant Buck

I would recommend hunting woodland caribou in Newfoundland. IMO a better chance of scoring but the hunt will be physically challenging. Lots of spot and stalk but since those bou aren't big migratory animals chances are they will be where you are hunting. They have bigger bodies than the Quebec baron ground bou but shorter antlers with lots of mass. I have been 3 times in the last 5 years and in every instance the whole camp scored on great stags with 100% success. I always use Snowshoe Hunting and Fishing out of Millertown NL. email address is [email protected]
I believe the cost will be less than a Quebec 2 animal hunt since the deal at Snowshoe is for one animal. In the event that you want more there are additional tags that can be purchased which will bring the 2 animal hunt up to the cost of a Quebec adventure. You can drive from Wi to North Sydney, Nova Scotia and then take a 7 hour ferry to NL. After that it is a 6 hour drive to the lodge which is just about dead center on the island and in the heart of the best hunting areas. I believe the trip from Green Bay area to the ferry is about 2000 miles and somewhere around 30 hours. Caribou can be processed there and frozen. We brought ours back in 156 qt coolers and it was still frozen after a 2 day trip. This year we made a longer trip to Colorado for elk and that trip was 3 days and the meat was still frozen. The big white coolers really keep frozen meat good for almost any trip. Lots of moose there too and a combo hunt is possible.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:22 AM

Hey post this on the Archers Choice forum, you will probley get some good A's for your Q's