Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Tents........cooking and heating ??? from a novice >

Tents........cooking and heating ??? from a novice

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Tents........cooking and heating ??? from a novice

Old 09-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tents........cooking and heating ??? from a novice

This is my first thread. Been reading this site for a few weeks and found lots of information which has led to further questions. Not to mention curiosity from my wife as to my prolonged terms on the internet. The topic that has led to my signing up and writing is the "tent" threads and the use of various heating sources. Last year was our groups first foray into the land of the Wapiti. As a life long hunter, country boy transplanted to the city in order to afford the hunts that I enjoy, and avid Colorado visitor for that last 30 years.....We were not totally unprepared. We had a driveup campsite, a couple of tents constructed out of a thick milled tarp material with propane heating and cooking as well.
At this point I should reveal that the comraderie, the camping, the all-around enjoyment of spending time with people of like minds is my biggest goal and that of my fellow "campers". Success is not measured in volume of kills no matter the prey. (But don't be fooled, we enjoy the smell and pleasure of rolling around in a warm gut pile on a cold day just as much as the next fellar) Enough of this as I imagine most of you have already clicked off, tired of my gentle ramblings. My question is multi-fold.....how do you ventilate your tents that have propane heat as carbon monoxide poisoning is not on my to-do list, we have constucted two stoves for use as woodburners for this our second time around so would coal be a good burner (know some locals that use coal during the winter up there) and lastly do you have problems with tents "sweating" when using either type of heat? Sorry for the long winded rant ..........but words I have a plenty.....just that they are usually in the form of a question at some point!
Old 09-13-2004, 09:19 PM

Default RE: Tents........cooking and heating ??? from a novice

RRH,

The canvas wall tent “breathes” naturally so under normal circumstances, no problem. We have a window in one end and door in the other so one can always cross ventilate if it’s too warm. However, relative to ventilating propane heat we use a flue system --- 4” diameter pipe right out the top of the tent via a stove “jack”.

“Ventilating” wood burning stoves have a 5” flue right out the top of the tent via a stove “jack”. If you are going to use coal, then make sure you have a “coal grate” (looks like the “guts” of an old fastion ice cube tray only bigger). This keeps the burning coal nugget from burning against the side/bottom of your soft steel stove body which can actually result in a “burn through”.

We use both a canvas wall tent portion and a visquene/tarp portion and the only time we have had trouble with sweating is when we had a bare dirt floor --- put down a tarp and “tack” it down with landscaping wire staples and we found the “sweating” problem went away.

If it sweats anyway (usually first thing in the morning), then just have a few plastic sheets to cover what you want to keep dry and just run around slapping the tarp, get the “rainstorm” over with, fire up the heat and it all goes away. However if you don’t have exterior ventilation by way of a flue, then your problem is going to be persistent and dangerous.

FYI, we use a PAIR of carbon monoxide detectors in each living area along with a pair of smoke alarms in each living area. Also, for folks that don’t want to use a flue system, I’ve seen them use (and I’ve done it once in a spike camp) the Buddy Heater by Mr. Heater --- problem is that the low oxygen sensor at altitude is highly unreliable and it shuts down constantly.

Elk Camp Tent (Far) - Propane "farm" stove on left, wood/coal burning cylinder stove on right:

Elk Camp Tent (Close Up):

Elk Camp Kitchen (in visquene portion of the tent) [disarray due to butchering going on):

EKM
Old 09-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

I was hoping to hear from you EKM!!! Read some good stories/ideas from you over the past year. I learned early on in life your creed about learning from the mistakes of others.

We had CM detecters last year for our propane stoves. We only had a problem the one night we forgot to leave a window or the door open a little. Thing went off at 2am and in the pitch black of the tent we had a rodeo!!! I was up and running around for 30 seconds before I knew what I was up and running around for!!! Since we are getting older and don't handle hangovers as well as we used to, we thought the detectors might save our lives or at the very least keep us from waking up "punchy" and feeling like a bad hangover!

I like the coal idea. Our new wood burning stoves are our own creations and should handle the heat for years. In our cookshack we have a propane, apartment size cook stove. A little trouble to mess with but we think worth the trouble. I will try to add some pics at the end of the thread here. We didn't cover the ground last year in either tent, so that will be something we try this year. We are scheduled for the first rifle season in Co.
We bought a canvas wall tent and have added that to our collection. Was a lot less trouble than the other two. Just built the frame out of 1 1/4 inch square tubing and we are good for hurricane Ivan!!! Now granted we too look like the Joads heading for California, but I am a believer in "whatever makes you happy".
We also built a shower out of the leftover tarp material. Getting to be a little embarrassing actually.
In fact, this year I plan on placing a sign at the front of the camp that reads "flea market--nothing over a dollar" as my wife says that is what are camp reminds her of.

But after all the hard work and all the time invested, there is no price to be put upon the our enjoyment last year. There was not a kill made among our group last year. Our hunting techniques/tactics/knowledge of elk leave a lot to be desired I am sure, but our fun was no less than anyone else's. In the last couple of years a couple of my partners have lost the ones that started them down their path in life, hunting and in general. Sharing times like these and remembering those that came before are our only measure of success.

Okay. pics I have are bitmaps and don't seem to want to jump on this page. Will try again later.

Anyway, thanks for the information. Will keep anyone interested apprised of our progress and will post results of our trip with pictures after the trip. Along with all of what we learned "Not to do" as well. If not a fount of useful information, then at least we can serve as what not to do!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

EKM. Thanks for some very good info and the photos. You answered a lot of questions that I have wondered about when it comes to hunting tents. We may end up going that route.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Great information here. Just want to add as people will be reading put your CO detector low in the tent and your smoke detector high up. Smoke rises, CO starts low.

Don
Old 09-14-2004, 08:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Don.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Fork Horn

Don,
Appreciate that advice. We had our carbon monoxide detector hanging from the roof. Won't make that mistake again. Last year was the first year in about 30 of going to the mountains that this ol Texas boy got what he thought was altitude sickness. But reflecting, the massive headache I had for about 24 hours could have been a sign of poor ventilation.
Thanks again.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:24 PM

RRH,

Are you venting your stoves directly to the outside with a flue?

EKM
Old 09-15-2004, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, my dads tent may not be nearly is big as EKM's, but it does serve its purpose for only my dad and I to go hunting in for a week or more. We only use wood for heat, as it is a cheap way to heat the tent, we just cut the wood on site and use it there. We have never used coal to burn, but you would have to find a way to keep it from directly contacting the sides and bottom of the stove. The propane is kept outside and all cooking is done outsite, that is until we get another tent, then the cooking will be done in a separate tent. Here is a pic from 2002, the first year that we used this tent.

Old 09-15-2004, 10:13 PM

Home Sweet Home!
EKM

Quick Reply: Tents........cooking and heating ??? from a novice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.