HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tents........cooking and heating ??? from a novice
Old 09-14-2004, 11:19 AM
RedRiverHntr
Fork Horn

Default RE: Tents........cooking and heating ??? from a novice

I was hoping to hear from you EKM!!! Read some good stories/ideas from you over the past year. I learned early on in life your creed about learning from the mistakes of others.

We had CM detecters last year for our propane stoves. We only had a problem the one night we forgot to leave a window or the door open a little. Thing went off at 2am and in the pitch black of the tent we had a rodeo!!! I was up and running around for 30 seconds before I knew what I was up and running around for!!! Since we are getting older and don't handle hangovers as well as we used to, we thought the detectors might save our lives or at the very least keep us from waking up "punchy" and feeling like a bad hangover!

I like the coal idea. Our new wood burning stoves are our own creations and should handle the heat for years. In our cookshack we have a propane, apartment size cook stove. A little trouble to mess with but we think worth the trouble. I will try to add some pics at the end of the thread here. We didn't cover the ground last year in either tent, so that will be something we try this year. We are scheduled for the first rifle season in Co.
We bought a canvas wall tent and have added that to our collection. Was a lot less trouble than the other two. Just built the frame out of 1 1/4 inch square tubing and we are good for hurricane Ivan!!! Now granted we too look like the Joads heading for California, but I am a believer in "whatever makes you happy".
We also built a shower out of the leftover tarp material. Getting to be a little embarrassing actually.
In fact, this year I plan on placing a sign at the front of the camp that reads "flea market--nothing over a dollar" as my wife says that is what are camp reminds her of.

But after all the hard work and all the time invested, there is no price to be put upon the our enjoyment last year. There was not a kill made among our group last year. Our hunting techniques/tactics/knowledge of elk leave a lot to be desired I am sure, but our fun was no less than anyone else's. In the last couple of years a couple of my partners have lost the ones that started them down their path in life, hunting and in general. Sharing times like these and remembering those that came before are our only measure of success.

Okay. pics I have are bitmaps and don't seem to want to jump on this page. Will try again later.

Anyway, thanks for the information. Will keep anyone interested apprised of our progress and will post results of our trip with pictures after the trip. Along with all of what we learned "Not to do" as well. If not a fount of useful information, then at least we can serve as what not to do!!!