Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

another newbe

Old 09-09-2004, 04:03 PM

Default another newbe

I've been lurking on this site for a couple of weeks now. Didn't know it was around before then.
Anyway I've gotton some good information so far.
I'll be heading for the pan handle area of Idaho in mid October for the eaither sex elk hunt.
I've ordered and received today Elknuts vidios and have just finished the first one (good stuff).
My question is will elk be finished with the rut in mid October where I'm going? I figure it will be over. Also is there normally snow on the ground at that time of the year?
Thanks
Old 09-09-2004, 07:28 PM

Default RE: another newbe

The rut should be over or almost over, it varies from area to area, your guide should know. Their are usually cows coming back into heat if the bulls missed them on the first round. Either way cow estrus calls can work.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:23 AM

Default RE: another newbe

Thanks for the info.
I will not be using a guide. My brother and I will try this on our own this year. We have an area picked out thanks to a former resident of Idaho. He has shown us on maps where to go if there is snow on the ground or not. Only problem is his information is about 10 years old. I'm sure that the areas have been logged some in that time.
Elknuts vidios seem to be mostly pre rut and during the rut, hope some of the cow talk will work after the rut.