Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Peak of Elk Rut?

Old 08-28-2004, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default Peak of Elk Rut?

For those of you who have hunted elk during the month of September for at least 2 seasons, I have a couple of questions.

If you had to give an exact date that represents the peak of the rut, what would it be? (I mean one single day, like September 21st.) What state do you hunt? How many years of September hunting experience do you have?
Old 08-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Peak of Elk Rut?

This wil be our 14th year bowhunting elk here in Idaho. Sept. 23rd! ElkNut1
Old 08-31-2004, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping more people would jump in here.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know why but September 21st. has been the best day for us. I had to look back in my hunting journal for this answer. The last 8-years in a row someone in our group or myself has killed a good bull on September-21st.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:50 PM

I hunt in Idaho. Definitely the 3rd week of September, Elknut probably hit it right with the 23rd.
Plenty of experience.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:22 PM

Idaho native, 25yrs. bowhunting, 3rd week Sept. for sure...
Old 08-31-2004, 10:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shouldn't the question ask, When do the cows go into estrus? Don't the cows just have a 24 hour window to successfully breed and if not then they start whinning,ect to attract that bull within this short period, therefore the cows actually triggering the rut, or am I missing something cause I am still learning every time I venture out. Bobby
Old 09-01-2004, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

According to the DNR Sept 15th is peak rut for where we hunt, however the last 2 years have proved otherwise. 2 Years ago they were going strong the last week of sept so basically 2 weeks late. Last year they were going first of sept and all done by the 15th. This year some spikes aren't even out of velvet yet and they are not talking where we hunt. I have heard reports they are lighting up a bit in the forest which would be about normal...so hopefully this year the Biologist 15th peak date is right on cue(I'll be hunting then...lol).
Old 09-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Third week is definatly the best. Cows will be in esterous from opening week until well into rifle season. But the majority are in esterous the third week of september. Yes a cows is in heat for around a day , but all of the cows are staggered. Most will come in around the same week. Man would those bulls have a heck of a night if all of the cows were in heat the same night????? I have heard of yearling cows that will cycle around November and can be bred. The cows that did not take can also cycle again around this time. This rut is nowhere near the same as the september rut, but it does happen.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:59 AM
Typical Buck

This is my first time ever hunting elk.. let alone hunting em with a bow. But I am going to Idaho from Sept17th-26th....Figure I should hit it just about right with what you are all saying.

Quick Reply: Peak of Elk Rut?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.