Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Bull Elk talk!!

Old 08-20-2004, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bull Elk talk!!

What are they saying,when they bugel,chuckle,groan,grunt,etc.?
Elkshed
Old 08-20-2004, 10:59 AM

Default RE: Bull Elk talk!!

"Honey, have you seen my pants, sweety?"

or

"Hey baby, HowUDoin'?"
Old 08-21-2004, 06:05 AM

Find elknut at elknut.com. He is a wealth of information.
Old 08-21-2004, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

I'm a little in the dark about this "language" stuff. I think a bull's bugle means, "Man am I ever horny!" His other vocalizations are ways to emphasize that point. I think, like with deer calling, a lot of this stuff gets overinterpreted.

There is a very good and sufficient explanation for why it all gets overcomplicated. First, we love the chase, and when people love something, they tend to imbue it with all sorts of mystic qualities it may not actually possess. Second, we fail a lot in our chase, so we need all the excuses we can grab. Third, and by far most important, is that there is big money to be made by inventing new, previously unrecognized game vocalizations. When you do that, you can then be the sole provider of the correct gadget that makes this new miracle sound.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe so Dirt, but after being in the woods quite a few years during September, I find that info about different bugles and cow calls such as the ones described by Elknut and others make a lot of sense. I am pretty sure now why I spooked some bulls in the past and hope to be a better elk talker this year. We will see.
Old 08-21-2004, 02:43 PM

I second elknut's dvd's, I agree with most of his information about the elk sounds and alot of good information to be had.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

If you're in Mexico and can't understand or speak Spanish then it's tough to communicate with them. Same goes with elk, and elk vocalization.

There are many types of bugles and all have their place. You have Challenge or intimidation types, Location bugles, bugles for calling cows to them, Bugles with grunts when some bulls are feeling their oats and aren't challenging anyone imparticular.

You have grunts!--some are for intimidation, you have dry huffing, or huffing grunts used with growls. Dry huffs are used under close proximity when a bull is calling a cow to him. Huffing grunts are used along with screams for intimidation or desperate situations such as a raghorn try to steal a cow quickly. You have the popping or nervous grunt that a bull will use in single note fashion, (similar to a cow bark) asking you to show or identify yourself, this is normally done in close encounters. (cows can do it too)

Chuckles--not to be confused with grunts. They're not as "base" like sounding, they're more rapid & high pitched. They're normally used for a bull to gather his cows together. He can also use them to call cows to him, such as when you're cow calling a bull, you've probably heard bulls give a short scream and many times it's followed by quick paced chuckles, he's not challenging you, he's trying to call you to him. So basically chuckles are reserved for cows but not always!

This is the tip of the iceberg! Once you learn and understand an elks language you won't believe how many more close encounters you'll have compared to not knowing it!!

If you think real hard in all the encounters you've been in the past you'll realize how much more effective you'd be if you only knew what the elk were saying or asking, therefore not running them off with just a bunch of elk sounds or jibberish.
So when you hear a distant bugle for instance or one responds to you, you can tell if he's threatning you or you just heard a bull calling for cows. Once you can tell the difference, just think what a better hunter you'll be!!

As a side note---It doesn't matter what brand of calls you use, they'll all call in elk. Just master the ones you're most comftorable with and you'll do fine! ElkNut1
Old 08-23-2004, 12:20 AM
Fork Horn

Thank you Elknut1,this is the kind of Bull elk talk I like to hear,am always trying to learn something new.
Elkshed
Old 08-23-2004, 02:04 PM

Dirt2:

You may be right about some people trying to sell you some b s but not elknut. He knows elk sounds better than anyone I have met or saw on outdoor channel. I know this
personally to be a fact because I saw it with my own eyes. He called in a 4 point for me last year.

Good luck elkshed.